Author Topic: Water Tank Drain??  (Read 7191 times)

James C. Wheeler

Water Tank Drain??
« on: March 21, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »
Hello again folks,

Well I have another question.  On the 93 Contessa I recently purchased. There is a homemade drain valve/plumbing arrangement on my Fresh Water Tank made from inch and a half White PVC pipe an fittings.   This is leaking/dripping where it comes out of the bottom of the tank.  I cannot see into  the area because of the sealers and expanding styrofoam that is in and around the area. 

I sent a question to "BEAVER" a few days ago asking what the tank was made of etc. and to date, NO Reply.  If any of you have any  information that might help me before I tear into the tank insulation area I would really appreciate it.  Likewise if anyone has had this or similar problem, any advice there would also be welcomed.   

Thanks and Take Care,

J.C. Wheeler
Clarksville, Arkansas

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:01:10 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Edward Buker

Re: Water Tank Drain??
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »
James,

We had a Contessa that was several years earlier than yours. The tank drain was a factory install that had a pull handle along the bottom of the outside of the coach. The handle was on a treaded extension for a Valterra slide valve. There was a 4 bolt pattern in a 1.5 inch version used for the tank drain. From under the coach I changed my valve due to age and a slow leak. This is a link to the valve from one of the sellers that offers them. I'm not sure if this is what was used on your coach but it is likely.

Later Ed

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-toilets-tanks/20097.htm

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
James,
My first Beaver was a 1993 Patriot and the fresh water tank drain was just like the one described by Ed. A word of caution though, if the water is coming out of the tank housing by the insulation at the drain valve, it may not be the drain valve leaking. The supply line to the tank enters the tank near the LF lower corner, and that is were the fresh water tank leak on my 93 was even though the water dripped out of tank housing by the drain valve.

The supply line fitting that was plastic welded to the tank cracked, and I had to remove the tank and take it to a plastic fabrication shop to have a new fitting plastic welded to the tank. The shop just ground off the old fitting, then they welded a one inch thick block of polyethylene to the tank and drilled and tapped it for the supply line fitting.

Gerald    

Allyn Ayotte

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:50:25 PM »
Hello, Gerald! I am latching on to this old post because it references a similar circumstance for me.

My '93 Patriot, which I have owned since new, seems to have a minor leak in the fresh water tank. I have crawled under the coach and find that the tank is tucked up inside the frame in the very front of the coach. It looks like getting it out would entail putting the coach on a lift and having a pro remove it for inspection. The tank seems to be enshrouded in sheet metal (probably to protect it from road debris) on most of its surfaces so its very difficult to assess.

Given your experience of removing your tank, can you offer me any insights into what I might be in for?

Thank you.
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 05:05:56 AM »
Allyn,
The fresh water tank on your coach is enclosed in the sheet metal housing for insulation against freezing weather. There is an electric heat tape under the tank with Styrofoam between the tank and the sheet metal housing, and the heating unit ducting under the floor ends in the tank enclosure to heat the tank enclosure in cold weather.

The tank drain is factory installed and if it is only the valve leaking, you can replace it as Ed mentioned in his post. However, if the leak is in the tank and you have to remove it for repair (there are no new replacements available), call me at (713-254-4156) and I will explain the process.

Gerald

The following users thanked this post: Allyn Ayotte

Allyn Ayotte

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 07:48:10 PM »
Thank you, Gerald!  We have resolved the problem and have removed the tank to do so. At the same time, we are installing new monitor tapes on the tank (black and grey water, as well) and have installed a new digital system in the coach to solve the ongoing mis-reading of tank levels. Awesome system from SeeLevel. Accurate and easy to install!