Author Topic: Bedroom slide quit  (Read 9248 times)

Dan Murphy

Bedroom slide quit
« on: February 22, 2015, 01:09:50 PM »
Our bedroom slide quit working yesterday.My neighbor George Harwell and I have been  trying to find the problem. We located the electric slide motor finally behind the facia boards and it is good but not getting any power. We found the relays which were under a drawer completely covered up when the slide would not go out----bad design---they appear to work also. We have identified a couple of fuses in two different places that are good but the motor still won't go. Could it be the switch on the control panel?? Anybody have this problem?? any ideas?
We have extended the slide by using a power drill but I sure need to know why it won't operate properly. 

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Bedroom slide quit
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 01:50:10 PM »
Sorry to hear about your problem, have you tried the Monaco Tech line they may have some idea or I would also call BCS on Monday.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 03:32:43 PM »
Dan,
There is a relay that ensures the slide doesn't get power if the ignition is on. If it fails one would see the symptoms you are describing. On my 01 Contessa the relay was in the corner of the back closet.
I've attached a block diagram of the slide circuit. Might be same/similar to yours.
Good Luck.  Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dan Murphy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 07:09:58 PM »
Thanks Steve. We have determined that we THINK there is a bad relay. George is making a testing apparatus to test all 4 relays on the control board. 

Dan Murphy

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
Update on my wardrobe slide-out----it was a bad circuit board and BCS helped out by sending me a new one and big thanks to George Harwell for fixing the problem.Thats one thing I won't have to pay Alliance to diagnose and fix at $120/hr!

The circuit board with the relays was under the bottom drawer in the pass side rear corner of the coach. How he got in there after taking the drawer out I don't know. I sure couldn't fit in that space! LOL

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 01:57:34 PM »
"There is a relay that ensures the slide doesn't get power if the ignition is on. If it fails one would see the symptoms you are describing. On my 01 Contessa the relay was in the corner of the back closet.  I've attached a block diagram of the slide circuit. Might be same/similar to yours.  Good Luck.  Steve"

Steve -
My bedroom slide has worked flawlessly for the 3+ years since I have owned the coach.  After retracting the slide yesterday morning and driving to our current location, that blasted bedroom slide will not open.  In the 12v breaker panel at position CK12, the breaker controls the power cord reel and bedroom slide; the power cord reel works fine, so the breaker is okay.  At the slide switch I pulled apart and reconnected all five spade connectors.  Also, at the slide switch  I found no power, so I am guessing either the 12v fuse has blown or the ignition relay has failed.  Where do I find the fuse?  You say you found the relay in your Contessa's back closet.  Where abouts in the closet (high, low, left, right, behind a cover plate?) and what does it look like?
Thanks...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 02:52:44 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 04:57:27 PM »
Dave,
If I remember correctly  the relay was on the passenger side front wall inside the closet, mounted about eye level. The fuse was in the fuse/breaker box inside the closet on back wall (driver's side). No pictures available.
Steve
Steve

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »
Today I feel like a very lucky guy.  I got my bedroom slide problem fixed yesterday by the son of the friends we are visiting in Houston; actually Kingwood-Humble, suburbs on the North side of Houston.  Their son is an A&P (Airframe & Powerplant) for United/Continental here.  This young fellow (the boy) KNOWS mechanical and electrical systems.  I think he dreams about these systems in his sleep!

I first showed him Steve's handmade schematic showing the color codes for all the wires at the slide switch.  I already had the 12v panel open so he started checking for power there.  He checked and found power at the panel and at the slide switch.  Power was found all along the way to the slide motor area under the bed.  Thus, the problem was not a breaker, fuse or relay.  While under the bed he gently pulled on wires to be sure they were solidly attached.  One wire was completely loose - the yellow wire.  The schematic indicates the yellow and orange wires go to the limit switches, then to ground.  So what we had here was an open circuit through a limit switch.  This slide system REQUIRES not only power to both limit switches, but also (obviously) the brake (to release it) and the slide motor (to make it go).  If one (of the two) limit switches becomes invisible due to a power loss, then the whole system becomes inoperable.  The yellow wire was re-connected to the limit switch and the system is fixed.

On my coach the yellow wire is connected to the IN limit switch and the orange wire is connected to the OUT limit switch.  The IN limit switch is the one located near the street side, or head end of the bed.  The OUT limit switch is located nearer to the foot of the bed.  Steve's schematic shows the these colors just the other way around.  So, either Steve's schematic has it backwards or his definition of IN and OUT means to the inside (nearer to the foot of the bed) and to the outside (nearer to the head of the bed), respectively, rather than the IN limit switch and OUT limit switch.  The boy had me go back to the schematic several times to verify which wire color went to which limit switch.  He almost immediately noted (loudly) that either this coach is wired backwards or Steve's schematic was noted backwards.

It appeared the problem was caused by the wires being loosely thrown onto the floor under the bed.  It appeared the detached yellow limit switch wire had gotten looped over the IN STOP (the stop that pushes on the IN limit switch at the full IN position).  And over time that wire got stressed and finally pulled apart from its connection to the IN limit switch.  The boy cleaned up the loose wiring under the bed, tied it down so it can't ever again move such that it might loop or hook on something due to moving the bed in and out.

And the cost, you might ask?  I had to go to our friends house for the third night in a row of drinks, a great Persian-food dinner and sitting in their backyard just being friends in beautiful Houston weather.  Did I mention I am a lucky guy?

PS  If your coach has a breaker for the bedroom slide motor, then you won't have a fuse.  The breaker acts as the fuse, so don't look for one.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:08:45 PM by David T. Richelderfer »

The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »
David,
Glad you got it fixed! The wiring under the bed is problematic. On my Contessa I found a number of poor crimps or cases of too many wires or too large an AWG wire forced into the butt connectors and ended up using different connectors to resolve this.  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=connect+lever+wire+connectors&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Aconnect+lever+wire+connectors
The wiring and wire colors on the schematic shows what I found on the Contessa. It is possible the problem is in the switch identification. The limit is reached when the limit switch opens. While I can't remember the exact mechanical layout, I think the In limit switch is the one toward the center of the coach (foot of the bed) since I'm pretty sure that is the switch that gets activated when the slide comes in.
In any case, glad you got it fixed and that the schematic helped.
Steve
Steve

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 03:44:07 PM »
Here's a more readable slide circuit diagram. Couldn't locate it earlier. Shows power relay closed (Ignition off).
Steve
Steve

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 04:16:29 PM »
In my coach the IN limit switch gets pushed by the push-stop that is towards the head end of the bed (street-side).  The motor and brake, and the two limit switches are immobile, so all their wiring can be tied down and made immobile too.  Only the IN and OUT push-stops slide with the bed on its in and out movement.  Thus, the IN push-stop's disc (pointing towards the curb-side) on the head of the adjustable bolt at the head end of the bed moves in with the bed until it strikes the IN limit switch's button.  The opposite is true of the Out limit push-stop and limit switch.

Interestingly, I/we never found the key-switch relay that disables the slides' movement while the key is in the ON (engine running) position.  As soon as the boy determined power was getting under the bed to the motor, brake and limit switches, finding the key-switch relay became a non-issue.

And thanks Steve for the schematic.  It helped!