Author Topic: 06 patriot transmission fill tube location  (Read 13437 times)

Jim Skatzka

06 patriot transmission fill tube location
« on: March 13, 2015, 03:46:03 PM »
Hello everyone!    I decided to do an oil analysis on our Allison 4000. boy i'm either stupid or blind as I can't find the dipstick / fill tube. I haven't air up the coach to crawl under yet as I thought maybe it was accessible from the closet port.  Any ideas?    Thanks!   

Jim  06 Patriot Thunder
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:41:01 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Jeff Watt

Re: 06 patriot trans fill tube
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
Jim,

On mine, which I suspect is the same as yours, the dip stick is on top of the transmission and IS not accessible from the rear or anywhere else. The access panel has to be removed to get at it which on mine, required the removal of closet doors, a board at the bottom of the closet frame, then the "L" shaped access panel can be removed, as the short part of the "L" has to be tilted under the remainder of closet frame.

To say this was designed and/or built by idiots (IMO) is an understatement!

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:05:27 PM by Jeff Watt »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:36:50 PM »
On mine I replaced the 5 foot long tube with the factory short one that is about a foot long. It sticks straight up out of the trans and is easy to get to from under the coach. I can supply the Allison part number if you want them. Cost about $80 if i remember correctly.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:44:03 PM by Lee Welbanks »

Jim Skatzka

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 07:00:57 PM »
Thanks!   I will wait till it cools off a bit tomorrow morning, air up the coach so I can shimmy under it and try to figure the best way for me to get at it. I don't have a 5 ft long tube on ours.  Thanks again!

Jim

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 08:25:45 PM »
When Wally Kimble was alive we were in Newfoundland and he needed to add fluid.  He didn't know about the closet access door.  It took 4 people.  The smallest guy laid on the engine and held the funnel.  The next guy held a long piece of tubing.  The third guy poured the fluid.  I held a flashlight so the first three could see. 

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:28:37 PM »
Thanks!   I will wait till it cools off a bit tomorrow morning, air up the coach so I can shimmy under it and try to figure the best way for me to get at it. I don't have a 5 ft long tube on ours.  Thanks again!

Jim

I was making a joke about the 5' tube, it is actually 4' long and I would bet that your coach has the same exact trans dipstick and tube. I attached a pic of it.

Jim Skatzka

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 12:02:44 AM »
Alright Lee,   where the heck did that tube give you access? absolutely cannot see that anywhere on our coach.  Still blind and stupid!   Lol.

Jim

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 12:13:24 AM »
Alright Lee,   where the heck did that tube give you access? absolutely cannot see that anywhere on our coach.  Still blind and stupid!   Lol.

Jim

No Jim you are not blind and stupid, to be able to get at the trans fill and dipstick you have to take apart the floor in the bedroom, the access door in the floor of the closet is of no use.
That is why I ordered and installed the short Allison factory tube and dipstick so I could actually check the oil level or add oil if needed. The  guys at WW Williams (Allison of Phoenix) got a real good laugh when I told them about the original tube.
I would suggest that you get the short tube from Allison and either install it yourself or have a shop do it. It is not hard to replace the Tube. I can give you the Allison part numbers if you want them, the guys down here knew exactly what I was talking about when I ordered the parts, they said that almost all Allison trans use the same one.

Jim Skatzka

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 01:57:45 PM »
Lee, if you have that part number handy I would appreciate it.  Thanks!   

Jim

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 03:07:58 PM »
Jim,
Here are the Allison #'s. The hardest part of changing out these was getting the old tube out of the trans, make sure you clean the trans real good around the hole as there is no lip to keep dirt from dropping into the trans. I had to clamp wise grips on the old tube and use a flat blade pry bar to work it out of the trans.
On the new seal put a little grease on the outside/inside and install it in the trans hole, the new Tube will slip right down and bottom it out, make sure you take the clamp off the old tube and put it on the new one.

Dipstick Tube Seal   Allison   29546229   $4.21                
Dipstick Tube   Allison      23049200          $20.49                
Dipstick Indicator   Allison   29549530   $39.05                

Jim Skatzka

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
Thanks Lee!

Jim

Jim Skatzka

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 04:28:18 PM »
Okay!   after much measuring I found that if I cut a 3 1/2 inch hole in the step riser right alongside the bed I could make a removable cover plate. you cannot see this without lifting the bed, you don't step on it when getting into bed. now I have quick access to the dipstick fill tube.  Thanks for all your thoughts!

Jim
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Dick Simonis

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 04:40:50 PM »
OK, really stupid question...why can't you guys use the older tube and dipstick that the C-12 models have that come right out by the engine access door?  Just curious.

Jim Skatzka

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 08:50:23 PM »
heck I don't know!  ill need to ask Monaco.    RIGHT!    Lol   at least I can get to it now instead of crawling under coach!   

Jim   
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 12:13:31 AM »
I don't mind raising the coach up and rolling under it, have a look around, is anything leaking, listen for air leaks, things coming loose, grease my drive shaft. It is the thing that a grease monkey at the service bay will overlook. Just saying.