Author Topic: tow plug connection  (Read 3561 times)

Jeff Watt

tow plug connection
« on: March 09, 2015, 10:25:48 PM »
Trying to diagnose an issue and I am wondering if the info in my manual is correct.

I am looking for the positive terminal to see if I am getting good voltage (had issue with car going dead). In the manual it states it is live all the time. I thought the ignition had to be on.

With it off I see 1.6-1.8v and when on (coach not running) I the same.

I will probably need to trace it back from the plug, however I am just wondering if I need to have the coach running to see good (13v) at the terminal?

Thanks,

Jeff

Lee Welbanks

Re: tow plug connection
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 11:17:43 PM »
Take a 12 volt test light and see if any of the pins in the 7 way plug are hot with the key off, then with the key on. The wiring manual may not match what was actually done when the unit was built or someone changed things around.

Jeff Watt

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 01:06:09 AM »
Lee,

Already tested with a multimeter and that is how I see the voltage. The terminal that the manual says is the live terminal is the one that is showing 1.8v. None of the other terminals show anything other than blips with ignition on or off.

Jeff

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:42:35 AM »
I always use a 12 volt test light, much easier than meter and when you get light you have 12 volts. What I found on my PT I had no left turn signal so I pulled the plug apart and they did a real crap job assembling it with the wires and didn't get the screws tight. Of course they covered the whole mess with silicone. You may have a wire disconnected in the plug, if not you'll have to go up the wire bundle to the next plug.
With a truck and trailer the 7 way plugs are all wired the same way as far as wire color, not the case with the plug on my coach, so make sure you write down which color goes to which number terminal.