Author Topic: Entry Step  (Read 8618 times)

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
Entry Step
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:33:59 AM »
Hello fellow Beavs!
The entry step on our 2005 Monterey quit working. It would work fine when the switch was in the position to retract when the door was shut and then extend when the door was opened but when I put the switch in the position to leave the step out when you are parked, I could hear a clicking sound from the area of the step. This was when we parked it about 2 months ago. It finally stayed out but now it won't retract when the switch is changed or when the coach is started.

The step is a Coach Step, Inc. product and that company was bought by a company called Lippert Components. I spoke with their customer service department and they suggested checking for a good ground which I have yet to do but if the ground is good, does anyone know how to check to see if the motor is bad? I passed a magent over the switch in the door jamb and I can hear a clicking sound but the step does not retract.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean Johnson
Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
1993 Bounder (1st coach!)
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
Past Region 1 Vice President

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Entry Step
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:42:12 AM »
If memory serves me there was a similar thread about those magnetic contacts sometime ago here.  The culprits were the wires having come disconnected to the door jamb switches, and it was a fairly common malady.

You might see if you can get to the wires from inside the passenger wheel well and check their integrity.  Then unscrew the switch plates to see if the wires behind the capsule are attached OK there. 

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:18:55 PM »
I had the same issue. See: http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3355.msg25584.html#msg25584

Tested the motor and the controller, both were good. In front of the curbside front tire, there is a loom of wires that come from the switch. For some reason, our Beaver has two. Could never figure out why. Anyway, the wires were shorted out and one was broken off from the magnetic switch right where it goes in to the perafin or some kind of waxy solution that keeps the wires in there, and apart from each other. The only solution was to buy a new switch. I bought the first one from Beaver Coach Sales in Bend (never again....$26.00, plus $13.00 shipping...for God's sake, they could have just stuck it in an envelope and mailed it first class for 82 cents. The second one I found online for $17.00 at Lippert. http://store.lci1.com/large-round-white-switch-kit-motorized. Turns out I didn't need the second one, so now I have a spare.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need additional information. P. S. You can't use a Kwikee switch, only the Lippert for SCS Coach Step.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:26:06 PM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Dean Johnson

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:04:06 PM »
Stan,

Great job, and you're correct about BCS they are real proud of their parts, think I've only bought one item from them because I couldn't get it any other place.

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 10:21:29 PM »
Stan,
Thanks for the input. When I pass a magnet over the switch in the door frame I can hear a clicking sound but nothing happens. Did you replace both switches in the door frame? and how did you test them?

thanks,

Dean
Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 01:47:19 AM »
I had a problem similar what you described after setting unused for a while.  Turned out to be rust and corrosion at the pivot points and on the spur gear.  With a bit of pushing and pulling while spraying with aerosol lithium grease it has freed up enough to extend and retract .  I can tell that I will have to pull the assembly down so it can be properly cleaned an lubricated.  Hope this helps.

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
Thanks Skip, I will try that. Just went out to move the coach and the key fob would not open the door. This after sitting for a little over a week, plugged into shore power. If I had to guess, it would seem that the chassis batteries are running down; maybe that's related to the step, I don't know, electrical is not a strong suit of mine!

Dean
Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Steven Hoffman

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 04:38:29 PM »
On my 97 Patriot the steps are powered by the chassis batteries as well as the electric over the door awning. 

Check voltage at the batteries and then again at the steps may save you a lot of work.  I know I will NEXT time. LOL

Steve

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 06:41:23 PM »
As an update as I continue to try and resolve this, I pulled the motor yesterday and connected a 12v battery and it spins fine, I don;t know if it's weak or not as I don;t know how to check that. I talked to Lippert Components and they said I should be able to move the steps in and out with the motor removed. I can't do that, the gear plate won;t move at all so I probably am going to have to pull the whole step and see what's going on.

Dean
Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 12:31:32 AM »
OK, final update, I hope!
Pulled the motor from the step and it still wouldn't move, so I sprayed some lube on all the pivot points, got a hex socket and used it to turn the gear plate and it finally moved back and forth without the motor attached so I figured it was just rusted up. I put 12 volts to the motor and it ran fine. Put the motor back in and it still didn't retract when I turned the switch on in the coach. I could hear the controller just clicking when the switch was on and the steps should have retracted. I then disconnected the power to the steps and connected a twelve volt battery to the steps directly and they work fine! Confirmed that it was the controller from Lippert Components and was quoted $221.56 from them where the same part from NW RV Supply in Eugene was $159!  Controller is ordered and hopefully that resolves the step issue!

Now on to try and figure out why the chassis batteries are running down while plugged into 30 amp power....Aren't motorhomes fun!  ;)
Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett