Author Topic: Help with understanding Stereo Speaker Wiring  (Read 2584 times)

JCMillerSr

Help with understanding Stereo Speaker Wiring
« on: February 25, 2015, 03:04:03 AM »
Just when I though I had figured out most of the electronics I learn that there is a bass unit for the stereo located under the couch.  Much to my surprise it even still works.  Unfortunately while testing I realized that none one of right side speakers are working.  This includes the front passenger side, the bedroom driver's side and the exterior passenger side closest to the front.  Not sure if they just stopped working or I just have not noticed until now.  The stereo system is the original AIWA Stereo component system mounted in the snack table on the passenger side.  Tried to make sense of the wiring but it looks like a bunch of spaghetti.  There are two control knobs located on the side of the snack table.  One controls the exterior speaker volume and the other just says speaker volume.  Each control has space for eight wire connections.  Half are labeled input and the other half are output.  I am hoping that someone with a similar setup has a wiring diagram or has worked their way through this maze of wires and can suggest where I should start the troubleshooting process.  With + and - wires for each speaker plus the bass unit there should be either 14 or 16 wires total (not sure if the bass unit has 2 or 4 wires).  The stereo unit can handle 4 wires (Left +/- and Right +/-).  Obviously the control knobs are doing more than just controlling volume.  Even if I replace the existing components I will need to understand the wiring sequence in order to install a new one.  Anyone out there with a 92 Marquis with a similar setup???