Author Topic: Time For Tires  (Read 12126 times)

Edward Buker

Time For Tires
« on: February 26, 2015, 05:48:04 PM »
I am at that 7 year mark on my tires and I have been looking at tire options. The XZA2 Energy 295/80R/22.5 tires that I have now have given me excellent service without problems. The only issue is cost. Even with the FMCA program, the tire cost with FET is breaking $700 each without local tax which has me at $5K+ mounted and balanced.

The other option that I am looking at is Toyo has come out with a model M144 tire that is suitable in all positions in a 295/80R/22.5 in the last year aimed at this market. I had a set of Toyo tires on my 98 Contessa and they served me well but before now this size and suitable weight rating was not available. I was quoted a price of $3164 out the door by the Les Schwab dealer in Junction City OR who recommended these as an alternative. They have the same weight rating as the Michelins at 5lbs greater air pressure. The tires physically weigh within several pounds of each other (126lbs Mich/128lbs Toyo) I was looking at the weight as a inference regarding construction just to see if the tires were comparable. The remaining specs have some slight differences for dimensions in 1 or 2 tenths of inches which are not a concern. My past Toyos were made in Japan which I consider a plus over other areas of Asia. I will confirm where these are made as part of the decision.

Question is, anyone running these tires on their Beaver and if so how do they ride, handle, any issues? If you have come from Michelin to the Toyos that would be especially helpful. While I loved these Michelins it is nearly a 2k difference in price so it is needing some serious consideration on my budget....

Thanks Ed

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Time For Tires
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:57:24 PM »
Ed,

I think you have many options.  The 295/80R-22.5 is very common and represents the best value in the market because of the options/brands available in that size.  I would consider the Firestone/Bridgestone or the Hankook tire.  Also, several Beaver owners have been using the Double-Nickel tire with good results.  The Double Nickel tire is very popular in the over the road truck market.

I replaced my Hankook A12 with Firestone FS560 plus tires and was extremely please with their performance, ride, handling and quietness.  The Fireston FS560 plus are only available in the 295/75-22.5 but Bridgeston has the same tire in your size.  The Hankook is available in the 12 R-22.5 and is very close to the 295/80-22.5 specifications.

Good luck,

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »
Ed,

We have 295/80/22.5 Yokohama tires on our Beaver. They are a Japanese company, but ours were made in California. They also have a plant in Taiwan. We are very pleased with them. No issues what-so-ever. Since I got http://www.viaircorp.com/400P-rv-auto.html as a gift, I check the tires readily, now that there is a quick way to replace lost air. However, my tires have never once lost any air.

Just another option.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

William Jordan

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:16:34 PM »
Had Toyos  put on our Marquis when we bought it, as part of the purchase. We only drove on the Michelins that were on it a few miles But I noticed no difference , of course I was comparing 7 year old tires to new Toyos  I had the Michelins' on my previous coach in a different size and feel the toyos are just as good . Of course thats my opinion no hard data.
The following users thanked this post: Nick Alvanos

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:32:37 PM »
Ed,
I have had Toyo (original 11R/22.5), Bridgestone (295/80), and Michelin (295/80) tires on my coach. The Michelin tires are the best riding and best wearing tires of the bunch, with the Toyo tires next. I had to replace the front Bridgestone tires at 5 years because of wear and the rears at six years because I cut one on a curb. I replaced the Toyo tires at 3 years because of they were overloaded so bad, but they were still in great condition, and would have made the 7 year mark with no problem if not for the overloading problem, and I drive a lot more than you do. For 1/3 less they would be hard to pass up.

Toyo withdrew support for RV tires several years ago, mostly because it was so common for manufactures in the late 90s and early 2000s who were using Toyo as OEM, like Country Coach, Monaco, and SMC to overload their tires. This problem caused numerous tire failure complaints for Toyo. Has Toyo changed their position on RV usage for their tires?

Gerald   

Keith Oliver

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 02:39:11 AM »
Ed:

When buying our 2007 Dynasty, it had early 2006 Goodyears all around.  The dealer offered to get us a dealer price on tires, but the shop wasn4t able to find any Michelins at the time.  I was offered 5 different brands, but chose the Toyos you are looking at.  They were also the shop's recommendation as the best tire, and they were the best price.  Taxes in, they cost me $4500 for 8, installed.  I only drove this coach about 10 miles on the GY, so no valid comparison there, but compared to the ride of my old Contessa 38, the ride of this coach on those Toyos is superb.  So good my wife has slept in her backseat driver's chair.  That never happened in the Beaver.

If you are buying because of time, rather than wear, you won't wear these out, so don't need the extra expense of the Michelins.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 03:21:20 AM »
I put Toyo's on my 01 Contessa 3 years ago and they have been great. They are M154's I believe.

Better than the Goodyears that were on it when I bought it.......6 installed $3200 in Hudson Fl at Hudson Tire.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 05:33:44 AM »
Thanks to all that replied. Certainly happy customers across many brands. I will either get the Toyo's or the Michelins given I have had good service with both of these brands. The load capabilities for both the M+T are equivalent except the Toyos require 5lbs more air pressure (125lbs @ max capacity) to carry the same load as the Michelins. I am not at the max weight rating in any positions so I do not have to deal with pressures that high. My rear Alcoa rims state a max pressure of 120lbs so if I was at the limit that could be an issue.

Gerald

Regarding Toyo's position on RV use I was told by the manager at Les Schwab in junction city that the sizes of the M144s that Toyo added like the 295/80r/22.5 and the 315/80r/22.5 were actually aimed at the RV market given those sizes were not that popular on truck fleets. He has been mounting these Toyos for awhile and has had good reports and they do more RV business than any other Schwab tire dealer.

At the Toyo website under tires 101 there are RV inflation tables, and the RV tire care section is pretty extensive, worth a read, and they ask you to print it and keep it in your RV, so clearly they are encouraging RV use of their tires. These M144s in our size were released less than a year ago so this is a new change from there prior position.

http://toyotires.com/tires-101/rv-tire-care

It is hard for me to layout almost an added 2k$ for Michelins especially if this particular tire model and size is made in Japan. My experience with Japanese engineering and manufacturing is pretty positive...

Later Ed

Les Brandt

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 02:25:52 AM »
Ed,

I have had Toyo M154's on my last two Dynasty's I've owned. Being as anal as I am about cost and quality, I researched tires to death. I could barely find a complaint regarding the Toyo's in comparison to the big name brands. After having the first set of Toyo's, I did not hesitate at all in putting a set of the same tires on the next coach. Ride and handling was great as well as the price of $3200 all in out the door.

When I bought the Beaver, it needed tires. I tried to get Toyos in the area and no one carried them. The local tire dealer suggested Hancook AH 12 (16 ply) tires. I researched these tires and again could find little derogatory opinions on them so I had them installed. 6 tires for $2600. I drove back from Missouri to BC with absolutely no complaint. I've had them on for over a year now and am pleased.

I have always tried to stay away from the main stream less expensive truck tires like Double Coin, Samson and the like, but would not hesitate in buying the Toyos or Hancooks again. Both are supposedly in the upper mid range quality, however, I would rate them higher and certainly  would not hesitate to put them up against the big name brands.

Personally, I don't think you have to break the bank to get a good tire.

Why buy a Ferrari when a Cadillac will do.

Just my experience and opinion of course.

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 03:09:29 AM »
It is just your opinion and experience that make this forum what  it is.  Thank you.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 04:37:17 AM »
Les,

I have pretty much decided to go with the Toyos. Based on my last experience between Michelin and Toyos I will give up some sidewall flexibility that the Michelins had and I expect the Toyos will have a bit firmer less shock absorbing ride. The Toyos will be well behaved on the road I am sure. Like you say less the difference in ride is not worth the difference in cost.

It is good to keep building this tire opinion database seeing things do change in the tire industry. As an aside my price on the Toyos in Pensacola is about $400 more then the Junction City OR Les Schwab. About $200 of that is tax and $200 is probably volume sales and extra shipping. If you are passing through OR it will be hard to beat their tire prices.

Later Ed

Mike and Cathy Cleghorn

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 06:08:59 AM »
Hi Ed,

We bought six of the Toyo M-144 295/80R/16 in October ’14, before heading down to Palm Springs. We had the Toyo 11R/22.5 for the seven previous years, and liked them, but the M-144s have an even better ride, in our opinion. The price was $3,151.00 (including balancing the fronts) from the Les Schwab Hunnell Rd. store in Bend Oregon. We extremely happy with the purchase. :)

Edward Buker

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 05:35:54 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for the input, sounds quite positive on the M144s.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 05:47:18 PM »
Ed,
I'm running Mich 11R22.5 H on our coach as they were on it when we got the unit and are 2010 date codes. They handle the weight with a bit of margin. Mich specs 115 PSI for my actual weights of 6440/5940 but I run 120 PSI in them for a bit more margin.
I looked at the Toyo specs and noticed that this same tire has the same ratings as the Mich; 6610/6005 lbs at 120 PSI. When its time for new tires, I'll probably go to 295/80R/22.5 Toyos to gain a bit more margin 6715/7575 at 120PSI.
Let us know how they compare to your current Michs.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 11:55:51 PM »
Steve,

I will let you know what I think. Stock seems low back east here so if you plan on making the change you may also have some trouble finding stock. May be good to pre-buy and get them stocked in plenty of time before you are planning on heading somewhere. Michelins have stock issues also...

Later Ed