Author Topic: Intermittent stop engine light  (Read 10339 times)

Al Lewis

Intermittent stop engine light
« on: February 28, 2015, 05:53:57 PM »
On my last trip, I saw the stop engine light come on.  All gauges were normal and engine performance seemed normal.  I was working a good head wind and was able to determine that the light would come on under acceleration or otherwise heavy load.  It would go out upon easing up on the throttle.  I added a half gallon of coolant and banged on the air filter.  I got home OK but I could still make the light come on when accelerating at highway speed. 

I have now changed the air filter. It had not been changed in 5 or 6 years and the indicator was up to about 15.  I learned how to check the blink codes and find no set faults.  I have not tested again but don't expect that I fixed anything.  The truck shop thinks there should be some temporary codes that can be read with their analyzer but that sounds like spending money for help. 

What experiences along this line have you had that might point me in a direction.  I read the post about the engine preheat with the hydro-hot.  I have hydro-hot but do not believe I have the preheat option.  I have not lost coolant other that when I changed the coolant filter thus the addition of some water.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:30:50 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Intermittent stop engine light
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:17:23 PM »
Never had that happen on my motorhome but the same thing happened on an 18 wheeler I was driving. Had to change the fuel filters. Under a load it was starving for fuel.
Marty

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 11:08:43 PM »
It could be any of a number of things, but I'm not sure 2 qts. of coolant would be enough if you were low.  One of the first things I'd check is to make sure you're up to the right mark on the expansion tank.  If on braking or acceleration the fluid moves to expose the sensor in the tank, it can trigger momentarily the check engine warning.  These tanks are also prone to deterioration, so check its integrity, and also that the sensor probe is clean and otherwise uncompromised.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Al Lewis

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »
I have not seen anything that suggests it would be the coolant sloshing around.  It does happen whenever max power is called for so I am thinking air or fuel or something to do with boost pressure.  On the fuel, I have changed one of the fuel filters and not retested as yet.  The problem first occurred after a fuel stop at an unfamiliar name (to me) fuel place near Victoria, Texas but it did not get worse.  I have not filled up since then. 

My Monterey has two fuel water separator filters in the engine control bay.  One with the plastic bowl on the bottom and one with an electrical connector on the bottom.  I alternately change one per year.  Why did they put two?  I guess I need to test as soon as the ice melts and if the problem is still there, fill up with fuel and change the other filter before I spend bucks on labor.  Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:32:27 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:17:01 PM »
There are two fuel filters because our rigs need a primary and secondary.  They have different porosities.  The first one (~10 micron) catches only larger particulates (and separates out water) so they can't quickly plug the finer secondary filter (2 micron) that's essential to our engine's fuel integrity' and that's commonly the filter nearest to or attached to the engine itself.  That's a pretty simple way to put it.  I'm sure others here can provide a more detailed explanation.

If you're saying you have two primary filters (water separating), that doesn't sound right;  one should be adequate.  It sounds like you only have one primary, the one with the clear bowl where you can see any water and debris in it.  The other bowl-less one should be your secondary.  But yours is a Cummins and may be configured differently than my CAT C9.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:10:02 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 06:21:41 AM »
Hi new member here, think I can be of help. Your problem sounds like fuel problem. A fuel filter need changing at any time after install. The reason for fuel filters is to provide clean fuel to your engine ( this means changing both the primary and secondary fuel filters at the same time ). If you put pressure gauge on the inlet and outlet of the fuel filter it will read 2 to 4 psi different at new install. When fuel filter starts getting plugged the pressure across inlet and out will raise to 10 psi. What this means to you with your light coming on under load and goes out when you let off load ( fuel starvation) or time to change out both fuel filters with new filters. Letting this go without changing fuel filters you will notice power loss and erratic operation of your engine. If these are the signs of your problem with light on and off, I can provide you with tech info. on above information. In closing there are many reason the fuel we buy today, a person cannot predict how long a fuel filter will last.
Dave Atherton retired Diesel Mechanic
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:55:03 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
The following users thanked this post: Jim Nichols, Karl Welhart, David T. Richelderfer, Bob Stone, Jerry Emert

Al Lewis

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:13:58 PM »
Dave spurred me to do a little research on the fuel filters.  However I have not determined the micron rating of the two filters I have.  The filter with the plastic bowl on the bottom is a fleetguard fs1287.  I am thinking it is the coarse filter.  The other filter which is called a water separator also has a drain at the bottom and an electrical port referred to as a wif sensor port.  What does that mean? Is it sensing water or pressure?  This filter is probably the second stage filtering but I do not know if it goes to two microns or not.  Is it possible that there is another last chance filter that I have not found as yet.  I remember my old 96 B engine had the filter with the plastic bowl at the bottom and also another fuel filter in the engine compartment.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:34:38 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 08:53:22 PM »
Al,
A WIF sensor is an acronym for a water in fuel sensor.

The FS1287 filter is a 40 micron filter. In other words, it filters out the sticks and leaves in your fuel but it will let almost anything else go right through. I can not tell you what the micron ratting is on the other filter since you did not list the part number, but you probably have a 2 to 4 micron secondary fuel filter on the engine.

Gerald
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:21:22 PM by Gerald Farris »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 10:00:34 PM »
Al, I just spoke to a Cummins Northwest service tech and he said Fleetguard does not specify micron ratings. I tend to believe him because I tried for about an hour searching online and found nothing. What I would do and he agreed, was change both your fuel filters with same number parts. This is the least expensive way to start. If this solves your problem, well done. If not take it to an authorized Cummins dealer to have it checked. Marty

Al Lewis

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 03:30:35 PM »
That secondary filter is a FS1022.  I meant to include that.  I will go ahead and change the primary filter before I test again.  Still freezing in Texas.

Al Lewis

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 07:48:21 PM »
Success!  I changed the other fuel filter.  Took a test drive.  Was able to reach 65 MPH uphill at full throttle for a short time and did not get a warning light.  I believe the problem is fixed.  Thanks for the help.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 03:28:43 AM »
Al,  there is always a chance that you could get a bad batch of fuel on the road depending on where you fuel. I always carry spare filters for both primary and secondary fuel and a spare oil filter. I also carry a strap wrench so I can change them. It is cheap insurance. Marty