Author Topic: Its raining inside my coach  (Read 8579 times)

Keith Oliver

Its raining inside my coach
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:44:46 PM »
When I had my 38 Contessa, I had several water leak issues, all documented here.
Almost a year has passed since I bought the Monaco Dynasty.  It is 9 years newer than the Contessa, but it seems that in that time, the factory learned nothing from the leaks that affected the older designs.  When it rains on an old coach, even as youthful as 2007, it still comes inside!
In order to determine the origin of the water that is coming in, I have started on the inside.  There is a significant amount of water dripping onto the Allison control pad.  If ever there was a place to absolutely ensure no leaks, this would be it!  In the Contessa, I had to replace the Allison control pad when it started intermittent failures.  I think (can't be 100% sure) those failures were due to its sealed surfaces permitting some of that moisture to get inside.  Bad enough the leak rotted the structure.  That was easily repairable, but the Allison pad cost me $1500 to fix.  Then I made absolutely sure there would never be rain on it again.  I took the window out and put Blueskin around the opening, then Lexel to seal the window in once it was back in place.
In this coach, I have removed the trim around the inside of the window, so as to get a look at what is wet.  The top of the opening shows some water creeping along at the outside edge of the opening, and no wetness on the inside except where it crosses over, then the screw holes at the nearest 2 positions show some rust, and the drips from those positions fall right onto the Allison pad.  Good news is that the opening in the sidewall is properly covered in a black, tar-like material that may even prevent the water from doing damage to the side wall of the coach.  I don't expect to be removing the window to see for sure.
On the outside, there is some obvious caulking around the top of the window, so I think a previous owner has attempted to fix this.  The caulking around the window appears good.  It even appears to have been a good type of caulking, ie NOT SILICONE.  Further away, however, there is evidence of openings in the caulking that is on the top side of the 3/4x1/2" cover strip that I presume hides the join between the front cap/roof and the sides.  That caulking appears to be silicone.  When this rainy weather stops, I will dig into that area to prove it is the problem area, then repair with Lexel.
Watch this space for progress reports.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Bill Sprague

Re: Its raining inside my coach
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 03:58:24 PM »
There is a system that has been around awhile that is used to pressurize you RV so you can spray soapy water on it to find leaks.  I don't know how well it really works, but it might help.  Their website provides a referral system to help find techs and shops that have one.   There appear to be a few between Indio and Salt Spring Island. 

http://www.sealtechusa.com/

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »
Keith,

Bill has a great idea.  This pressure system does work if done properly.  Keep in mind that your leak may be coming from some other part of the coach and running to the low spot above your shift console.

In older Beaver product the diagonal piece that covered the joint between the front cap and side wall above the DS window was a common problem.  I do not think your coach has that piece.

Also, the roof cap/sidewall joint on your era Monaco coach seem to have issues. Good luck, leaks of this nature can be very hard to fix.

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 07:40:07 PM »
Adding to Karl's "trouble spot" list is the clearance lights.  They are made of easy to crack plastic and will allow water in that can flow to a different place before it drips out. 

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 07:47:29 PM »
Karl:

I do like Bill's suggestion.  If I can find a way to slightly pressurize the coach it will tell me a lot.  I am not sure how much work will be required to block/seal such things as the heating vents, penetrations below the slides for power, hydraulics etc., the back of the fridge and its roof vent.  If not too big a chore I will try it.
As for the diagonal piece above the window, it is still there, although modified to a vertical part that then curves on about a 10" radius to become the horizontal cover for the roof/sidewall join.  Where it curves is where I have already found signs of silicone caulking, so I suspect that is where the leak is and that will be the first place I fix with Lexel.  Unlike the Beaver, there are no screws to remove that piece, so I will have to carefully scrape the silicone off and clean it in place.  Still a bit wet here and the forecast is for a little more rain before the normal dry weather returns, so I won't be starting that project right away.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 08:28:07 PM »
.....If I can find a way to slightly pressurize the coach it will tell me a lot.  I am not sure how much work will be required to block/seal such things as the heating vents, penetrations below the slides for power, hydraulics etc., the back of the fridge and its roof vent. ....
Back when ours leaked a lot more than it does now, I studied the Seal Tech system a bit.  It has high enough flow volume that penetrations for things like hydraulics don't matter.  It also has gauges and controls so that you don't over do the pressure!  Please note that I am not recommending you pressurize your coach.  Airplanes are made for that, not Monacos!  When I was doing the reading, I recall Monaco in Coburg and a coach repair near me in Fife had them. 

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 09:56:57 PM »
Marker lights were installed without a gasket behind them, well that has been my experience.  As I replace them I include a foam gasket and a 'lexal' seal over the top edge. 
Seems that leaks are tough for everyone especially in our neck of the woods.
Most hardware stores (ace) carry a plastic tool for removing  caulk.  It has a small sharp flat blade on one side and a pointed 'V' shaped part on the other side all in plastic.  This 5 dollar tool works well if you keep it sharp and cleanup with some 'wax and grease' remover.

Good luck
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Keith Oliver

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 10:56:53 PM »
Bill:

As I wait for better weather, I note the wind is from the right direction so that if I can lift the three vent hatches and stop the fans, the wind will do the pressurizing for me.  Then I will be able to go to the suspect places with some soap solution and see what happens.

Keith:

I have the tool.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 03:40:58 PM »
Bill:

As I wait for better weather, I note the wind is from the right direction so that if I can lift the three vent hatches and stop the fans, the wind will do the pressurizing for me.  Then I will be able to go to the suspect places with some soap solution and see what happens.

That's a great idea!  I wonder if that will create enough pressure?

Keith Oliver

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »
Bil:

I will let you know.  There has to be more wind than at present, but here in Indio that is not something normally wished for, so I am very careful with my wishes.

Keith

Les Brandt

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »
You will find that most RV repair shops worth their salt have a Pressured Leak Detection system.

If my memory serves me correctly, the cost for the test is about $175.