Author Topic: Propane tank will not fill  (Read 5248 times)

Ted Couch

Propane tank will not fill
« on: March 02, 2015, 09:05:26 PM »
Hi again. A new day, a new question for my Beaver gang.

We were scheduled to have our propane topped off today at our Hemet snowbird home, and when the propane truck rolled up (in the pouring rain, I might add), I jumped out of the rig to open the right compartment for the gas man. Our monitor for our 1989 Marquis indicated the tank was about half full after filling it almost 2 months ago, so we were anticipating 15-20 gallons. Much to my surprise it would only take .9 gallons and no more. The delivery man said he could not force it in. He wondered if there was a shut-off or in-line switch that could be stopping the fill. The gauge still shows half a tank. So, we are wondering, has anyone had this happen to them? We have not had a problem with filling the tank in the past.

Thanks in advance for feedback and/or suggestions.

Ted

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Propane tank will not fill
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:49:36 PM »
Not that this is the case here since I'd presume the supplier wouldn't put an inexperienced person on a mobile unit, but we've had guys that didn't know how to deal with certain fill valves, especially on our old '85 Pace Arrow with its 80% fill limit.  Nowdays there should be no tech that doesn't know how to deal with the valves, but every so often there is.  Sometimes I've had to clue them into turning the relief valve knob the right direction.  Liquid propane won't go in if the gas pressure above the fluid in the tank is too high.  The relief valve has to be open to lower that backpressure.

It's always possible your guage is not sending properly, but after 2 months camping I'm sure your guage is probably correct.  I'd either pick up stakes and drive into a station, or ask for a truck with a driver experienced with older RV's.

Been watching the news about the Southwest, Texas, and California getting dumped on.  Reckon flashfloods are a threat in that country.  The rain is certainly needed in Texas and California, but not all at once.  Knock on wood, but Northwest snowbirds could have stayed home this winter and been happy like us... it's been unusual but superb weather.  We'll regret it later this summer when the lack of mountain snow affects our water supplies and fire season.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:01:13 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 10:04:38 PM »
We had an older coach that had a regulator problem.  It had allowed air into the tank.  The tank must be purged or it only fills to the point where the air compresses and stops.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 10:22:07 PM »
Yah, but Joel, it's been in the 50s for the overnight lows here in the Fortuna Foothills... compared to the high teens for overnight lows in Hermiston.  I'd rather play golf in my cutoffs and a T-shirt.  Here overnight we had 14" of rain.  Well, that's what my neighbor told me.  The drops marks on the street were 14" apart.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 12:28:56 AM »
Ted,
Believe the indicator on the tank, not the one in the coach as the magnetic pickup can get flack.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Ted Couch

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 06:26:35 AM »
Good news. Got a different delivery guy today and after a tap with a wrench the valve worked just fine and we are set with propane for the rest of our trip. Thanks for the advice to double check before thinking the worst. Sunny days coming and 80 by Friday. Life is good.

Ted

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 06:41:21 AM »
Yeah, I've heard that sometimes a little water condenses in the valve, then freezes and plugs it or the vent outlet.  Just a few taps can break it loose.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat