Author Topic: Swapping out the Sony Tritron for a flat screen TV  (Read 9425 times)

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
Swapping out the Sony Tritron for a flat screen TV
« on: March 06, 2015, 03:21:48 AM »
[/b][/b] Has anyone changed out their bedroom TV (Sony Tritron) for a new flat screen TV?  Do you have any pictures or ideas on what to get and how to install and retrofit the cabinetry
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Les Brandt

Re: Swapping out the Sony Tritron for a flat screen TV
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:53:12 AM »
John,

It would be helpful to know what coach you own and possibly show a picture of your TV setup.

Many of us have changed out the TVs in our coaches and can probably give some input on your request.

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »
We have a 2003 Beaver Marquis Sapphire. The TV is located angled between the back wall next to the closet and the passenger sidewall. The Sony is so huge so I'm sure we can use the space behind for some sort of storage since a flat screen takes much less space.
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 03:07:42 PM »
John,

There are photos in this link to several installs, the ones of the smaller TV set is our 2002 Marquis bedroom install. Pulled the old unit out, made a wood mount out of scrap designed at an angle to match the bed viewing position. Trimmed the existing cabinet to accommodate the new install as needed. Slide unit and mount into the bottom of the enclosure and screwed up through the bottom of the cabinet to the plywood mount. It is very secure. From there I cut pieces of cherry and mounted them with screws as trim and when I was happy with the fit, I varnished them and mounted them. If I need to pull the TV the trim that needs to come off unscrews and three screws that come up through the bottom are pulled and it slides back out. In my case there was a lot of wiring and not so much usable space, so going through the complication of building some hinged mount, shelves,  and latching somehow did not seem worth it to me. Of course each coach is different. This ended up being a 26 inch unit given I could extend beyond the old rectangle opening if I did not recess it. The photos of the trim parts were taken before finishing and it all matches well now. There is space for heat to escape at the top due to the tilt. Hope this helps.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,1485.msg10276.html#msg10276

Later Ed
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:18:48 PM by Edward Buker »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 03:44:23 PM »
John,
Here are a couple of approaches I used on our 00 Marquis and earlier on our 01 Contessa. With the Marquis, I removed the TV from the "box" and mounted a 32" from the ceiling in front of the window. It's worked out well for us.
http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3112.msg23345.html#msg23345

On the Contessa, I removed the TV, built a cabinet door and mounted a 26" flatscreen on the door. Worked great. See picture.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Les Brandt

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 02:02:01 AM »
Hi John,

Our setup is on the opposite corner. I left the original upholstered face frame and mounted the 28" TV overtop. Because I didn't need the additional storage, I set the DVD player inside just below the TV.