Author Topic: Towed vehicle enforcement  (Read 9337 times)

Robert Mielenz

• BAC Member
Towed vehicle enforcement
« on: March 18, 2015, 12:57:07 AM »
Has anyone been cited for not having a braking system on their towed vehicle? I am interested if the laws requiring a brake system on  your towed vehicle are being enforced.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:34:09 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
2004 Marquis
C 12 505
08 Honda CRV
97 Patriot

Roy C Tyler

Re: Towed veh. enforcement
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 02:54:13 AM »
I would suspect that very, very few people do NOT have a braking system on their towed vehicle. It is not the cost of a citation, it is the cost of damage to your vehicle if something happens.  I have had a receiver break at the point where the pin goes through.  It can be a very tense moment, believe me.
The following users thanked this post: Robert Mielenz

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 02:57:45 AM »
Haven't been stopped but have heard both NM and British Columbia can be real tough on non brake system toads. It doesn't get towed an inch further. IMHO the investment in the system is well worth it.
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

William Jordan

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 04:07:31 AM »
I suspect nobody "checks" until the crash investigation. I have never been stopped or even asked about it , and I do have brakes on my dolly. For that mater, a couple of years ago when I asked at a couple 4 down installers , they gave me a price and said even though it was required by law (in this state based on weight)they had many that went without. I think you'd be surprised how many people tow without brakes on their towed vehicle. Not smart or legal but...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:33:53 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 04:16:47 AM »
...but certainly scary for the rest of us sharing the road with them.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Oliver

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »
Check the fine print in your insurance contract.  There will be something there indicating that the insurance is valid only if the vehicle is compliant with all laws governing its equipment and it use.  Those laws, in connection with brakes on your tow, will be found in your Provincial or State Motor Vehicle Act.  If you have a major loss, your insurer will want to know that your vehicle was fully compliant and may have an investigator ask the tough questions.  If found to be non-compliant, your insurer will have a valid excuse to refuse payment.

Les Brandt

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 06:03:00 AM »
Never mind the cost of the towed vehicle, what's the cost of a life?

When the towed vehicle comes disconnected, I wonder what those who don't have a brake/break away system in place think will happen.

Personally, I'd have a hard time living with being responsible for the loss of someone's life through my own negligence.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Towed vehicle enforcement
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:07:49 PM »
Since this is a post on braking systems, here is a maintenance check!

I test my Brake Buddy out each time I take off on a trip.

During the operational check of the system yesterday the breakaway feature did not work when the pin in the junction box was pulled simulating a disconnected toad.

That means the brakes would not engage on a disconnect from the tow bar. Not a good thing. During trouble shooting I found the circuit was good and got it to work using a screwdriver in the box.

Issue with how the pin installs in the box to open or close the circuit. I ordered a new harness and box yesterday at a costly $75(a bit overpriced but what else is new).

Should fix it so it works correctly.

Remember to check this before heading out if you have the Brake Buddy!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 01:47:56 AM »
Lamonte, I found the same problem with mine a couple of years ago. If you still have your old switch (or even if you don't) find a thin finger nail file and insert it into the port of the trigger a few times. The contacts are held open with that trigger installed and tend to rust and lose continuity. I do this every so often to keep them rust free and test the switch. It works good. Marty

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 04:58:15 AM »
Thanks marty....I still have the old one and will give it a try...thanks
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl