Author Topic: Words from the wise - 1997 Monterey Beaver - 30FT  (Read 26465 times)

Joel Weiss

Re: Words from the wise - 1997 Monterey Beaver - 30FT
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 05:48:31 PM »

2) The radiator coolant reservoir looks like it was not made to live this long and should be replaced.  I'd imagine similar aged coaches of this type have run into this, any recommendations?

If you're talking about the plastic coolant reservoir tank, I had been advised a long time ago (by Gerald, I think) to reduce the pressure cap to 6psi from 13psi to avoid stressing the tank.  I drove that way for 4 years and everything was fine.  However, this winter I purchased a steel replacement tank from BCS; that baby is solid!!  I didn't see any coolant loss from the plastic tank, but I fell more comfortable with a steel one and a 13psi cap.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 04:09:24 PM »
After a few months of driving and >1,500 miles I can conclusively report that having the steel radiator expansion tank has completely eliminated coolant loss in my C-12.  My engine has had a tendency to lose coolant over time and I often would have to top it off.  I never observed any leakage from the plastic tank and I was using a 6psi cap to prevent stress on the tank.  The engine ran quite cool but, nonetheless, there was a slow, but steady coolant loss.

This year with the new steel tank there has been absolutely no loss whatsoever and the engine runs slightly, but measurably, cooler.  Now, with an ambient temperatures of <70F the engine appears to be able to maintain itself at 190-192F at 60mph with no use of the radiator fan.  At higher ambient temps the fan comes on periodically.

The replacement steel expansion tank wasn't inexpensive and I wondered if I needed it; now I am convinced that it was a worthwhile change.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Carol Moffett

Justin Ellis

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 02:32:50 AM »
A year later, I thought I'd share feedback on a couple of these items that I originally posted about and thank everyone for their help along the way.  I read every post in detail and have learned SO much about my coach.

The air filter on this coach is a WIX 46857 and it did need to be changed.

The rig has been running well and for the most part problem free since I replaced the batteries and the alternator which were both problematic.  I still endure some electrical weirdness from time to time which I chalk up to sketch wiring in the dash.

The diagnostic system I had (have) is a MAGID which is very old.  It doesn't work and the only company that seems to sell replacements for it is Silverleaf Electronics and they quoted me a price so high I could just mount an ipad there and run their software on it for cheaper, also they weren't very friendly so...end of story that space now hosts a nice picture I like to look at and I live without computer diagnostics at my fingertips.

Regarding skiing, the coach is heated in the basement (there is a sliding vent accessible from the drivers side forward bay) if I have the furnace on so theoretically the pipes would be safe.  There is no thermistor down there so it's not a great setup. However, with the need to run the generator and the furnace full time to dry camp while skiing I have elected not to go this route.  I camp where there are electrical hookups and can put a little space heater in the basement to prevent freezing, now I don't need to listen to the generator or use up all my propane.

Thanks again and if anyone down the line has questions on the 30' 1997 Beaver Monterey Coach give me a shout, I might have figured it out!

Cheers,
Justin

John Olsakovsky

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 02:45:39 PM »
Justin,

I am going to closely follow all replies to your post. I recently purchased my first motorhome and it is a '97 30 foot Beaver Monterey as well. I have documentation on the accessories but nothing on the coach itself. The electric step seem to operate with an independent mind and I cannot get the propane generator to fire up (it worked when I took delivery from the previous owner). I have the same issue as your with the stove burners.

The previous owner updated the interior and was meticulous about engine and transmission maintenance. It runs like a watch, but I can't keep the chassis batteries charged (no room at home so it is in a storage lot). I added a solar panel to keep the house batteries charged and that helps with starting. However, I can't find the chassis battery disconnect and don't even know if it has on. All of this is interesting and entertaining, but I love the coach.

Thanks for posting your questions and giving me someplace to start,
John Olsakovsky

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 05:01:37 PM »
John,
Welcome to the Beaver clan. This may help you with the electrical circuitry.
Steve
https://www.dropbox.com/s/us15putll0k09xg/Beaver%20Service%20Manual%20%28Electrical%20Diagrams%29.pdf?dl=0
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

john brunson

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 04:46:37 PM »
We also have a '96 Monterey 36' ~ had a situation similar to #3  the fix was the master solenoid in the electrical bay... the replacement was extremely inexpensive $12.50  from amazon, so i bought a spare

http://www.amazon.com/CONTINUOUS-SOLENOID-GOLF-CARTS-1114208/dp/B008R1T5IM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

this one is for a golf cart but electrically and physically it is an exact replacment~ worked perfect and solved the issue

don't omit the diode on the feild winding of the solenoid...

/john