Author Topic: Check engine and poweer steering issues  (Read 8734 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Check engine and poweer steering issues
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:38:29 AM »
Some of you know about our ongoing problems Hdy main pump failure cuase the Hdy steering pump to fail and the engine cooling fan failure. 6 month of waiting for Monaco to send a new main pump.

We are now back in PHX with same resulting issues the (New)power steering pump was installed by Massey and as I told them before we left for Hemet the steering feels heavy. On our return they installed a pressure gage on the system and we are about 1/2 the required pressure at 1000 rpm, below at idle and at 2000rpm still not even close to specs. Monaco is sending a new pump but they can not test before sending.

The engine cooling system is still giving me the check engine light on the way to Hemet the engine derated on the grade west of Palm Springs( not much of a grade) I was low 2 gallons of ELC which I added after we arrived in Hemet and thought this would resovle the overheat. WELL on the return to PHX we had the check engine on the grade east of indio (not much of a grade) I was able to down shift the transmission to increase the fan cooling temp 4th gear the light goes out and temp comes down.

I have a new cooling fan and a new pump suppling Hdy fluid for the system I am not sure of the problem but this is a C13 that was running at 180- 195 before the high speed fan would kick in , I should be able to pull 2 rigs behind me on the CA grades. I told Massey that this must be fixed!!

Tom thinks this may be an issue with the transferr switch low speed to high speed so far this is original. Tom at Massey is one very smart guy I am sure we will get past this. My rig was running strong before the main pump failure.

Has anyone had issues with the two stage(one fan) system on a C-13, this is on our 06 Thunder.

I hope the new power steering pump will be the fix on the steering issue as is it really sucks and so far Monaco has been no help at all !!!  (Source engineering has been much more helpful)

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

LEAH DRAPER

Re: Check engine and poweer steering issues
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:45:47 AM »
Don't mean to sound sarcastic but did you really think Monaco would help or be of help?? :(

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:13:57 PM »
Please keep the updates coming!  We are all looking forward to the coaches quick recovery :).
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 02:33:04 AM »
Leah, Tom has had little help from Monaco the parts folk just have no back ground.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 03:48:02 PM »
Tom at Masseys is great guy, have been there several times and Red one of his mechanics is very good also.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 12:26:44 AM »
Hi Leah, we are now driving with power steering "great invention" the original pump sent from Monaco was bad it never supplied the correct pressure nor flow volume.

Drained the system of fluid and changed out to a new steering pump.

I have just one more issue to correct, the engine over heat, Tom from massey did check the maion pump pressure/flow today. The good news is the pump meets spec's so the last item is the wax style transfer $800+ frt from monaco but Source engineer will sell just the switch for  $600 + red label cost. I am hopeful the tomorrow we will be heading to OKC!
Our little girl is expecting and I will be dead meat sitting on the road if Chris is not IN OKC I am duly appointed to paint the house.

I will give you an update tomorrow if we can get pass Flagstaff.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:17:44 AM by Roy Warren Co-Admin »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 03:53:39 AM »
To bad they don't have a dyno at Massey's, with one they could put the coach through its paces and see actually what is going on. Does the fan kick into high speed and a what temp. Had a heating problem with the Pete back in the day and on a dyno we found out the fan was not fulling engaging, problem solved. Probably same with your coach, fan not going to high speed.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 04:50:45 PM »
Lee I think this is the case that we have only the low speed fan. I have a new thermo switch on the way red lable from Source Eng. in OR. It cost $200 less then MOnaco. I should be "On The Road Again" around noon. The plan is to head up 17 (flagstaff) that shoulds be a good test to see if the problem is gone!!!

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 04:53:28 PM »
Jerry,
The climb out of Black Canyon City will tell the story.
Good Luck!
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Doug Allman

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 09:27:47 PM »
I do not know about the climb out of Black Canyon City on 17 but I can tell you just a little further west on 89 there are two climbs that will test anything you drive.

We came that way home to Michigan from Yuma to see that part of Arizona and both climbs have large signs that indicate you cannot proceed any further if you are over 40' long. With the 42' Marquis towing the 20' pickup truck we were well beyond that. However in that country there is almost no where to turn around so we kept on going and hoping.

When you get close to the start up the hill you can see several turnbacks on the road above but it does not even come close to letting you know what you are faced with. Both of the climbs are almost identical in going up but the north section on the downgrade is exceptionally tight in the turns. I used all of my lane and several feet of the other lane to keep the truck away from the guard rail. Luckily it was on a Sunday and traffic was very light.

The C-12 did its job very well. The heat did climb to 205 as I was constantly moving from 6 to 5 to 4th but you cannot take your eyes off the road very much more than a glimpse to look at gauges. When I finally got settled to what gear to use we got back down to the 194-196 range and stayed there. We normally run at 188 engine and transmission.

We have been in a lot of mountains and up and down some 12%-14% grades. These two are the tightest we have ever encountered. Did not expect to test both the C-12 and the Allison but I told him above Thank You as they worked well. If you are having any issues on the normal highway do not go here.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 01:17:36 AM »
WE had to leave the rig at massey still having the over heat, they are going to try another new thermovalve. We are hopeful this one will work.
FYI the fan will run at high speed if we block the line off but the thermo valve (wax valve) should be doing this for us.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13