Author Topic: TV to Audio connection  (Read 6280 times)

Keith Oliver

TV to Audio connection
« on: March 24, 2015, 04:05:25 PM »
I have a new TV in the front of my coach.  It isn't connected to the house audio system.  I would like to connect it.  I have the DVD player above the passenger seat and the dash radio on the house audio system, but I don't know where the amplifier is located.  Not with the DVD or the dash radio.  The sub woofer is in a cupboard below the table.
The new TV has both a spare HDMI and a Digital Audio output, for this purpose.
Anyone know how to find the amplifier, or some other way to do this?
I know I could put in a Soundbar, which would get the TV off its rear speakers, but I would prefer to use the existing, better system.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: TV to Audio connection
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:51:40 PM »
    Hi Keith, Your coach should have a home theatre/dvd player in it. I am pretty sure Dynasty had the original TV connected to it under "video 1" or "video 2". Check the back of the new TV and see if the red and white RCA cables are plugged into the "audio out" jacks. If not, connect new audio cables from the TV over to the back of your home theatre and plug into video 1 or 2 or aux in. Scroll thru the inputs with the home theatre remote and select the one your connected to. Some TV's require you turn off the internal speakers to enable the audio out capability, however most newer TV's don't. Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 07:04:59 PM »
Fred:

Thanks. 

Is the DVD also the Amplifier?

There is a loom of 5 wires coming from the DVD to the TV, they are R,W,R,G,B.  There is also a loom of 3 wires hanging in the cabinet, R,W, Y, but no place on the TV to connect these.  The old TV had multiple places to connect all the wires.  without the R,W, Y connected, I need a way to get from the "Digital Audio Out" or HDMI2 to the Amplifier.

Keith

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:49:54 PM »
Further details:

The new TV is a Panasonic TC40A420U
The DVD is a Sony DAV DZ120 Home Theatre System

The 5 wire loom at the TV (R,W,R,G,B) arrives at the DVD with only R,G,B.  There is a separate 2 wire loom of RW at the DVD that is coiled up and hanging, but plugged into "TV/VCR" RCA Jacks.  There is no HDMI (too old?) and other than the TV/VCR jacks, no apparent place to connect any Digital Audio out from the TV.
I had enough length in this coiled RW loom to plug it into the TV and test.  I couldn't get anything from it.
Now I have more Questions.
Where do the RW (part of the RWRGB loom) from the TV go?
If the Digital Audio from this TV doesn't go thru the RW, but only from the HDMI2 or Digital Audio, can I get an adapter to convert either of those to the RW RCA plugs that the DVD has?
Should I keep looking for an amplifier, to which the RW might be attached?

Keith

Roger Rempe

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:36:25 PM »
Keith, I believe that the amplifier is built into the DVD player. Check out this link...not sure if this is the exact model. https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=DAVDZ120&LOC=3#/howtoTab
My home theater system in my '06 Monterey was so outdated that I replaceded the DVD player and installed a sound bar to go with the TV upgrade. Couldn't make the connections with the old system.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:51:25 PM »
     Keith,  I believe the cables you are talking about was the original "monitor" cables that went to the original TV. They are obsolete and will not interface with your new TV. The home theatre system you have is also obsolete and yes the amplifier was an integral part of it. Best econmical solution is to replace the home theatre with a samsung or panasonic or equivelent. That will alow you to use HDMI hi-def cable directly from home theatre to the new TV. It will also allow you run audio rca cables from tv audio out into the "aux" in at the back of the home theatre. The new home theatre will also power up the existing speakers already mounted. I believe the original speakers are 4 ohm and the new that come with the new home theatre will be 3 ohm. Not really an issue unless you like blasting the audio and making the walls shake. Wal-mart your best local place to buy the home theatre and by the way it will be a blu-ray player wirh true 1080p hi-def.  Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Keith Oliver

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 01:56:39 AM »
Fred:

Thanks for your insight,  I have seen enough now to know that i will be updating the rest of the home theatre to get things working.  I will check out Walmart as you suggest.  I bought the TV at Best Buy, so i will also check them out.  I may just suffer the speakers on the back of the TV for now.