Author Topic: Engine over heat warning check engine light  (Read 6326 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Engine over heat warning check engine light
« on: March 24, 2015, 05:25:36 PM »
We have the on going saga of the Hdy failure of Kerrville. We did get in the new main pump/power steering pump and cooling fan after the 6 month wait for parts from Monaco. I test drove the rig before heading to the Hemet rally, and told Massey in PHX that the steering felt heavy. After meeting folks in Hemet I was sure I still had major issues so we did return to Massey.

2 problems going to Hemet we had a check engine light for over heat. I added addtional ELC 2 gallons and hoped this would be the end of the over heat. Not so, we had the same warning on the return to PHX, I can down shift to 4th gear on the grades to bring the temps down and the light will go out, but this is a C13 and we can pull any grade without an overheat. In the 8 years we have been running this rig this is the only time we have seen this light or needed to use the transmission in this manner.

I am now back in PHJX at massey waiting for a new steering pump. The new Monaco steering pump install was only putting out 1/2 the required pressure. I hope the pump being sent todayh will be better then the last one.

I am not sure how to progress on the over heat I understand that for $700. they could order a new fan switch that could be a issue but we just don't know, if anyone has a thought please let me know.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Lee Welbanks

Re: Engine over heat warning check engine light
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:06:54 PM »
Jerry,

I'm confused here. You had to get a new Hydraulic pump, power steering box and fan motor, now you are having overheat problems and your power steering is to heavy. I dough there is anything wrong with you power steering box or fan sounds like the main and only hydraulic pump is not putting out the correct pressure or flow rate.
Did they test what pressure the hydraulic pump is operating at? That would be the first place I look.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 12:21:12 AM »
Lee they did check the pressure on my return to PHX from the Hemet rally this rig has 2 pump the main pump that supplies pressure to the cooling fan (1 FAN SYSTEM).  The prower steering pump will supply pressure to the steering gear box.

The pressure was checked on my return to PHX and was to low, Monaco has sent another new steering pump that will be installed tomorrow and the pressure will be checked before we head out, if it's OK the steering problem will be solved, we will see.

The engine over heat "Check Engine " light will be the next item. What is happening is on a grade the engine temp will increase 205+ and I think the high speed cooling fan is n ot kicking in.

Before the Kerrville break down our engine ran at 182-195 the trans temp was always 10+ cooler. In the breif time we have had the rig since the repairs the temp has caused 2 check engine warnings. I can down shift to increase RPM to bring the temp down as an option. The point is in 8 years this is the first time I have ever had a check engine light on a grade or running flat ground. I know that something is wrong. Massey will look after the steering pump is fix for the problem.
I just thought one of the Beavers may have a clue. I think we have a heat transfer switch before the cooling fan this could now be bad? or the main pump may not be operating at the correct pressure(no adjustments on the unit) this is the pump that required 6 months to get from Monaco(they don't stock the item)     
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 12:57:54 AM »
Jerry,

On my 06 PT there is only one hydraulic pump which supplies the fan and steering. So if your main pump failed how did it eat your power steering box when it failed?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 01:15:21 AM »
Lee the Main pump and steering pump both use the resivore the metal from the main pump was in all systems the result was main pump[ failure cuased steering pump and engine cooling fan failure. The whole system hoses Hdy/Res, all needed to be fluished.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 02:16:53 AM »
That's weird my only has one hydraulic pump and it is a Sauer Danfoss that of course got bought out a few times.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 02:31:17 AM »
Yes I understand Lee we have the same manuf. Sauer thats the one that Monaco will only order on with a $$ prepayment.
6 months.

I don't know when they went to two pumps our rig is also an 06 Pat, Thunder.

When your going down the road (flat land) what is your engine temp? How about on grade pulling Mt. Pass?

Do you have one cooling fan or two?

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 02:54:00 AM »
Jerry,

Mine was built Nov, 05 and delivered in Jan 06 to a dealer in Florida. On flat ground I run 188-190 and the trans around 175, the motor will hardly ever get over 196 that is where all kicks in and it cools right off. I have got it up to 200 once pulling Raton Pass when it was hot around 90 outside, but that was at a dead pull 4th gear 100% load, I shifted down to 3rd and it cooled right off. Coming out of Denver last year on I-70 all the way up through Eisenhower tunnel at 11K and she never got over 198, of course the outside was around 70 or so.

I have one big cooling fan and that baby really sucks a bunch of air when on high speed. I need to get in there and check the motor mount as I have heard they have a history of cracking.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 10:28:21 PM »
Jerry we talked about the Hyd pump of which I mentioned about pump failure at Hemet. The heating
problem I did not recall on ET that you had a heating problem. We talked About 205 being ok or did
I miss somethIng.  Dave