Author Topic: Hydro Hot diesel ignition problem  (Read 3223 times)

Al Lewis

Hydro Hot diesel ignition problem
« on: March 25, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »
My Hydro Hot has been stubborn about igniting the diesel burner for some time now. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it will not.   I have changed the jet and filter and have checked the gap on the electrodes.  I have also removed the igniter coil and it seemed to test good.  Anyone else had this problem and found a solution?  It is of 2002 vintage.

Edward Buker

Re: Hydro Hot diesel ignition problem
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:21:05 PM »
Al.

I had a coil that was an issue and you have to test that on the bench at least with 100 pulses of 10-12V DC. I used a battery out of a Makita drill. It has to fire every time or it is bad. About once out of maybe 50 attempts it would not arc across the electrodes. New one did the trick. There is a built in oscillator circuit that is not always the best. Kind of like the old relay circuits in the metal box controller. The electrical designs are poor at best from Webasto.

Later Ed

Al Lewis

Re: Hydro Hot diesel ignition problem
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 02:34:12 PM »
Thanks.  As I recall, when power was applied to the coil it would fire the electrodes repeatally but I just connected power and disconnected a few times.  Something I have noticed is that the problem is mostly with cold startup.  If I bring the tank up to temperature with the electric element the diesel seems to fire ok.