Author Topic: Simple Sofa Removal - Not  (Read 12056 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Simple Sofa Removal - Not
« on: March 25, 2015, 06:08:57 PM »
Last year we removed the original carpet in the living area and replaced it with wood flooring and reinstalled the 2 sofas. This year at Quartzsite, DW mentioned that watching TV from the sofa was bothering her neck. No problem, I responded. I’d remove the stained cloth sofa on the slide platform, replace it with the ultra-leather one and install a recliner in its place for DW. I knew the sofa on the non-slide side was higher than the slide sofa but since it sat on wood blocks I figured I’d be OK. Nope! Ultra-leather unit still was too high. DW’s feet wouldn’t touch the floor (Yeah, I know I should have measured…). Considered a number of options: Switch sofa bases but couldn’t since I’d have to tear into upholstery to access mounting bolts, Cut 2” section out of ultra-leather base and re-weld but then noticed drawer mechanism hung too low and would hit floor. Only obvious option was to re-cover the cloth sofa. (There goes the budget… ).

After replacing about 1/3 of the floor to eliminate the ultra-leather mounting bolt holes, I had to deal with the Hurricane heat exchanger that had been mounted horizontally under the ultra-leather sofa.  First thought was to add a small cabinet behind the co-captain’s seat. We had one in our Contessa but in thinking about it I found it fairly useless with the recliner except to collect stuff that needed to be put away when moving. So I moved to plan B (see a pattern here?). I mounted the heat exchanger on the wall and built a box out of the flooring wood to enclose it. I had to make the “box” larger at the forward position to enclose where the Hurricane hoses exited the floor but this gave me room for a needed duplex AC outlet. I also added a grill for air intake to the heat exchanger. Also gained an area big enough to set a coffee cup. And now we can see the bottom of the 2 windows on the passenger side.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:45:40 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: David T. Richelderfer

Edward Buker

Re: Simple Sofa Removal Not
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:24:53 PM »
Really well done once again Steve. Where there is a will there is a way comes to mind....

later Ed

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:42:09 PM »
Steve,
Hey nothing to it just replace the sofa,,,no problem. Been down that road a few times with some of my easy projects.
Your redo looks really good and I am sure the DW will enjoy the new chair.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:38:33 PM »
Steve, Well done and looks very professional. Happy Wife...Happy Life
    Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Randle

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:44:49 PM »
On a related note, has anyone ever replaced the jackknife sofa in a 2005 era Monterey with a real hide-a-bed sofa? Looking for something a little more spacious and comfortable for company to sleep on.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 02:03:13 AM »
Bill.
I switched a jack knife for a sleeper in our 01 Contessa. Only issues were getting the sleeper into the coach (I did it when I had to have a windshield replaced but could have removed a side window also) and elevating the extended end when open. It was made for a flat floor so I used a couple of wooden blocks to provide the slide height when the sofa was open,
Steve
Steve

Bill Randle

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »
Thanks, Steve! Is it difficult to R&R a window?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 04:51:26 PM »
Bill,
I've done the smaller windows and think larger ones would use same procedure. After removing the window curtains and surrounds, remove the rubber gasket that runs around the window on the inside to access the screws. Remove the screws and gently push on the edges of the window frame from the inside to break the sealant between the window and the coach. Remove the window and clean the remaining sealant from window and coach. With a large window 2 people are recommended.  Reinstall in the opposite order. I applied a window caulk to the coach exterior prior to re-setting the window. I got it from a local RV shop but is probably available at BCS or maybe CW. It's about 1/2" wide and provides a good seal. Once the window is completely remounted apply a bead of Lexel across the top exterior joint. Run it around the 2 top corner radii and down the sides about an inch to insure a waterproof joint.
Steve
Steve

Keith Oliver

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »
R&R a window is easy, but a fairly big job.  I recommend getting a willing helper, as you will need someone outside and someone inside.  First the blinds and valances have to come off, then there are screws all the way around on the inside that come out, then remove the trim from the inside and push.  Your window will then fall out to your outside helper.  That is when you go outside to take 1/2 the window. 
Harbour Freight have glass suction handles, $5 for a single, $10 for a double.  They really help.
While you have the window out, check the opening to see if it has been waterproofed.  Now would be a good time to add some. Get some 1/2" butyl tape at a glass shop, you will need this around the perimeter of the window when putting it back in.  Peel the tape off the roll and stick it to the opening, leaving the plastic on the exposed side of the butyl, with the ends of the plastic tape folded back so you can grab hold after the window is in place and still loose (one or 2 screws for safety), then pull the tape off and tighten up the window to the inside trim.  When the window is back tightly in place, use Lexel caulking around the perimeter, NEVER use silicone.  Failure to check or renew the waterproofing, use new butyl tape and properly caulk around the outside will allow water into the side wall of the coach, potentially causing delamination and other issues.
Much easier to remove the passenger chair and use the doorway for big items.

Bill Randle

Re: Simple Sofa Removal - Not
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »
Thanks, Steve and Keith!

I think I would measure first and see if it would fit through the door with the passenger seat out, and if not, then get help from Bend RV Repair or Advantage RV if I had to go the window route.