Author Topic: ABS and ATC Warning Lights  (Read 4251 times)

Roger Rempe

ABS and ATC Warning Lights
« on: March 27, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »
Had a problem while moving to Deming, NM yesterday. Twice while cruising down I-10 several dash lights came on...seat belt, ABS and ATC and an alarm went off. Also, the power steering seemed to momentarily fail but, then returned when the lights shut off. Makes us leery now of venturing around NM and varying away from a four lane route in case we need to pull over for a tow. Frustrating because we've had a similar problem like this before and were hoping that it had been taken care of even though the mechanic wasn't real sure that he'd fixed it as we thought it engine related. Could this be more of a brake or wheel problem?

Gerald Farris

Re: ABS and ATC Warning Lights
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 09:24:55 PM »
Roger,
There is a high probability that your problem is related to a wheel speed sensor or its circuit as part of the ABS (antilock brake system) System.

Gerald

Roger Rempe

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:09 PM »
I think that you're on to something Gerald. I'm gonna try to make it to Albuquerque Freightliner tomorrow. Do you think that if alarms go and off again that it's okay to keep driving? We've got about 230 miles of interstate to get there.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »
Roger,
Normally, the ABS/ATC (antilock brake system/automatic traction control) computer will just disable the ABS/ATC system when it registers a malfunction. All other systems will continue to function normally including the base brake system.

Gerald

Roger Rempe

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 09:54:30 PM »
Thank you Gerald. Hopefully, it won't go off again but, either way, I'll carefully drive it straight to the shop!