Author Topic: Washer/dryer installation  (Read 7942 times)

Rod Tomlinson

Washer/dryer installation
« on: March 27, 2015, 07:57:05 PM »
1996 34' Beaver Monterey. New Member. Just purchased and want to install a w/d in the bathroom area. (See Picture). I was told (ha,ha) that the motorhome was pre-wired and pre-plumbed to install a w/d in the bathroom. As you can see from the picture, there is a hot and cold water valve that I am guessing is for the bath area at the bottom, but nothing for a hot and cold for the w/d. Certainly not any electric or waste lines etc.

Does anyone have this model with a wd installed. Any help would be appreciated.

Rod
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:54:07 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Greg Kamper

Re: washer dryer installation
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 10:35:59 PM »
I wish you would have posted this yesterday... I just pulled mine out to put in a new filter housing in my unit. It was too much work to take out for some pictures. There is an access hole on top in the back. I will take a picture tonight and post it for you. The drain pipe is almost as tall as the w/d unit and the drain hose goes down it. This is in the right side in the rear. The hot/cold comes in on the left rear. I just realized that mine doesn't have a dryer vent... not sure how that will work. We have never used it because the previous owner took out the lint trap filter.

Rod Tomlinson

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 12:04:29 AM »
What kind of washer/dryer combo do you have. It sounds like it is ventless. What kind of motorhome do you have.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 03:43:16 AM »
Splendide makes two different combination washer/dryer models. The vented model operates like a home dryer except that it operates on a 120 volt power supply instead of the 240 volt supply used by residential dryers.

The non-vented model is known as a recirculating or condensing dryer because it circulates tap water in tubes around the tub to condense water out of the moist heated from the laundry, and pump it down the drain. This drying method is not as fast or efficient as a vented dryer. However, it was developed for applications where vents were not desirable or impossible.

Gerald     

Greg Kamper

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 03:49:56 AM »
I have the Splendide that came with the coach. My coach is a 00 PT. Here are a few pictures...

Rod Tomlinson

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »
Thank you for the pictures. I believe you have a different model. My cabinet is only 2" left of the cabinet. By the way, what model etc is a "00 pt" ?

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 03:37:29 PM »
    Hi Rod, Gerald is giving you great advice concerning Splendide washer/dryers. Here is my "spin" on it based on what my customers have shared with me over the last 15 years. If you're going to make that kind of investment, definately put a vented unit in. Condensing washer/dryers take forever to dry and really aggravate the users. Even if you install a vented model it is a slow process when we compare it to our home dryer. If your traveling and save up your clothes for a week, it becomes a career. Best bet is to do a load every night or every other night. Another consideration using a splendide is removing the clothes between the Wash and dry cycles and shake them out. The spin cycle is 1500 RPM and causes the clothes to mat against the drum and cause wrinkles in the dry cycle. There is more to this conversation but I will let others chime in with the Pros & Cons.
   Enjoy your new coach, Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Greg Kamper

Re: Washer/dryer installation
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »
Hi Rod, Sorry.. I have a 2000 Patriot Thunder. I have never used the washer/dryer... Now I'm reconsidering it myself...

Rod Tomlinson

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 06:10:45 PM »
I found a washer/dryer breaker switch in the ac panel above the bed. I could not find any outlet for this where a w/d might go. Finally, I took the cover off of the breaker box and found that there is no wire connected to the washer dryer breaker switch. Never was. So now the question is, how do I run a dedicated 120 wire from the breaker box to the only remaining space for the w/d which is under the stove in kitchen?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1996 34' Beaver Monterey? Or, any ideas how to make this project happen?

Rod

john brunson

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 04:30:17 PM »
Rod,

I just ran across your post... don't know if you fixed or not... I am happy to send what documentation I have wiring wise for my 96 Monterey.  It will be after holidays  tho...

/john

Frank Towle

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 01:15:29 AM »
2c worth!  Basically like our Splendide combo w/d.  Third one we've used extensively over the years.  Don't really like the idea of taking room for stacked for just two people and losing storage space. 

First one had to pull unit out to change drive belt on drum.  Took hours to remove, minutes to replace belt.

Second one encountered was NON vented in a London flat and yes it took for-ev-er to dry my socks and underwear so agree with others make sure it's vented. 

Third in current coach is working fine except lettering wipes off the plastic too easily and drain pump runs periodically like there was still water in the drum.   

Anyway, good equipment, fantastic (no pun intended) design, does what it should.

BTW:  We add a tablespoon of Stain Solver http://www.stainsolver.com/ to keep towels smelling fresh and whites bright.  (Mention code RV10 for discount)