Author Topic: No power to macerator or electrical hose reel, reduced power to water hose reel  (Read 15718 times)

Keith Oliver

At this moment the diagnosis is incomplete, but the likely culprit seems to be the "Big Boy".  That is a $200 part that seems to be "out of stock" at the wholesaler, so I am searching other vendors, as is the tech guy who did the diagnosis.
My chassis batteries were new last June, so hopefully will survive this deep discharge.

Gerald Farris

Keith,
At that price, I would consider one of the more robust and less problematic Blue Sea Marine systems as a replacement for your factory installed "Bird" system.

Gerald

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
     Keith, Did the technician check the battery isolator relay delay "BIRD" that is located in that engine compartment? That is the controller that tells the "Big Boy" relay when to engage and charge the chassis batteries.  Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Keith Oliver

Fred:

I followed his directions on checking things.  There is a yellow button that is supposed to cycle the Big Boy, I also measured V at each of the terminals of the Big Boy.  The V is supposed to be the same across those terminals, but isn't.  I turned off the shore power and with high 90s heat, it didn't take long to bring the house battery voltage down below the 12.4v set point, where the Big Boy actually cycled, but still didn't make the output voltage equal.  Other than that, I don't know what else he is relying on for the "failure" diagnosis.  I will check the "Bird" if I can.  What does it look like? how do I check it?

Bill Randle

You might also check this thread on irv2.com: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/big-boy-trouble-shooting-237860.html and this one: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/solved-many-electrical-problems-229047.html . The first one also talks about BIRD and has a link to additional troubleshooting information.

It's apparently a common problem and the relay can actually be cleaned, rather than having to replace it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:46:30 PM by Bill Randle »

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
   Keith, Did you check out the threads that Bill posted? I did not know you could take them apart. If you are so inclined go ahead and disassemble and clean it. CAUTION taking the cables off. Shorted wrenches will melt the ring right off your finger. To answer your question, with the coach plugged in and converter voltage is above 13.2 volts one of the little terminals on top of the "Big Boy" will have voltage to it and that is what makes the solenoid engage. If you can hear the solenoid engage and the voltage is NOT equal at the large terminals then the issue is inside the solenoid. Fred
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:28:14 AM by Roy Warren Co-Admin »
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Keith Oliver

I can close off this thread now.  I bought the $200 relay and installed it.  Everything is now working properly.  I took the old one apart.  It is a simple solenoid.  It isn't electronic and its not a relay.  It has two terminals with #awg 20 or so wires that excite the solenoid, moving a heavy metal lump to compress a spring and bring another heavy lump of copper against the two big terminals that have #00 or so, wires attached and that close a circuit between the two sets of batteries.  Those terminals and the second metal lump are covered in green and black corrosion, so not making good, if any contact.  those corroded terminals are within the end cap of the solenoid, protected from moisture by gaskets.  Ha!  All the gaskets seem to do is to make sure any moisture that enters can never leave, thus encouraging a quick death when the moisture enters.  ( We are is the desert!  It is very dry here.  I haven't seen moisture anywhere, yet this solenoid has enough inside that end cap to kill it!).  We are returning to BC next week, where it rains a lot.  hopefully the new solenoid will be happier in the rain than it has been in the desert.