Author Topic: No longer Sewer Smell  (Read 2821 times)

Gary Wolfer

No longer Sewer Smell
« on: March 30, 2015, 03:08:59 AM »
I have had a sewer smell in my last two coaches the 94 Safari my son now owns and the 98 Beaver I own now. I found a link on the internet about using Calgon Water Softener. I add two capfuls of liquid calgon water softener to the black water tank after dumping for the last few dumps. I also added a half cup of tide or equivilent dry laundry soap and a couple of times added bleach. What I found out was the first time after adding the ingredients the scum that came out of the black water tank was almost black ( two times it was black) The Calgon softens and loostens the sludge from the inside of the tank and the soap and bleach helps clean sanitize and eliminate the smell. The bleach kills the smell. It goes against all thought of using tank deodorant because you are killing the bacteria with bleach not depending on bacteria to eat the sludge. I have used the calgon for the last two months and now when I dump it is just light brown and cleans out to clear when I dump. I no longer have the smell inside the coach after I dump. I would not use the bleach every time though as it will eat up the rubber seals if you use too often. The Calgon did the trick and I bought liquid. The only place I can find it is walmart on line. I have to order it special as it is not sold at retail stores anywhere any more. I am buying 4 bottles at a time for about 5 bucks each. Believe me it works fantastically. Just search google for calgon water softener at Walmart I also saw some dry advertised at Amazon. Maybe it is making a come back.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Carol Moffett, LaMonte Monnell

Matthew Harger

Re: No longer Sewer Smell
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:34:36 PM »
The "Geo-Method"....  I will second that it has worked well for us as well so far.