Author Topic: Hurricane questions -- '99 Contessa  (Read 8277 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Hurricane questions -- '99 Contessa
« on: April 01, 2015, 03:13:59 AM »
We're starting to make friends with our new coach, fresh out of winter storage.  I tried to start the Hurricane heating system.  I did the following at the control panel adjacent to the couch:
-- Flipped the switch to the on position
-- Selected the furnace option
-- Set the thermostat to 75 degrees

The system fired up, but did not illuminate the green light in the panel.  I let it run for a few minutes, then shut it off.

The dealer from whom I purchased the coach (a former Beaver dealer) suggested I use the reset.  I noticed a big warning placard instructing me to disconnect the batteries.  Does this need to be a physical disconnect or can I just flip the coach and house shutoff switches?

Also ... the manual says that there are two valves in the Hurricane compartment that provide options for heat/hot water or hot water only.  I cannot see any such valves.

Thoughts?

Larry the Newbie

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Hurricane questions -- '99 Contessa
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 05:07:36 AM »
Larry,
To reset the system, go to the Hurricane main control box (in a basement compartment) and turn the service switch off, then back on after about 5 seconds or so. Prior to turning it off, note if there are any fault lights lit on the fault indicator panel.

The green light  next to the remote switch in the coach living area should illuminate when both the service switch and the remote switch are on. If it doesn't check for a blown fuse (should be indicated by a fault light on the fault indicator panel). IT will also not illuminate if the remote switch is not on but since you said the system fired, I suspect this wasn't the problem.

The 2 valves are normally in the engine compartment. On my 00 Marquis they are accessible by opening the engine hatch in the bedroom. Mine are toward the front on the driver's side. They are for setting / routing the heating fluid to either heat water (summer setting) or heat both water and the coach (winter setting). I've set  for winter and don't change them. In any case, 1 needs to be open and the other closed

Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:01:15 PM »
    Hi Steve, On my Marquis I can only find one valve and it is located right under the hatch access between the bed and the closet. The manual says there should be 2 valves and both should be horizontal for summer and vertical for winter. Got any ideas where they hid the 2nd valve or eliminate it? On going mystery because it takes forever for my hurricane to heat my coach shower hot water. Thanks, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:01:37 PM »
Fred,
Not sure why you can't find other  valve. Should be there someplace near the valve you see. I don't know why they would have changed location from Tourmaline to Jasper. BTW, mine were mislabel; Winter was summer and vice versa. You could check settings by feeling for heat in  hoses to one of the heat exchangers. That's how I figured out the proper setting.
Steve
Steve

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:26:59 PM »
      Steve, Thanks, I've looked three different times, even climbed under and up. It's a mystery, another Beaver inigma. The valve I found must be in the winter position because all heat exchangers work great. Thanks again for your advice. Regards, Fred

Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Grant Ralston

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 06:34:11 PM »
When I was at Rixon's having my Hurricane serviced last year I asked about confirming the positions of the two valves near the pressure tank on the curb side of the engine compartment.  I was told the best way to confirm is to remove the pressure cap and look inside the tank.  The "short" circuit (hot water only) produces much greater disturbance and flow into the tank, while the "long" circuit produces much less flow due to the friction of all the hoses and heat exchangers.  I tried it while the pressure tank was about half full and the difference in flow speed was quite clear. 
By the way, I really liked the service I got at Rixon's Enterprises in Sandy, Oregon last October and recommend them for problems & service with anyone's Hurricane boiler. 

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 08:45:09 PM »
Fred,
I agree with Grant re Rixons. You may want to give them a call. They've bailed me out of a couple of problems in the last couple of years.
BTW, too bad about the Wildcats, but there's always next year.
Steve
Steve

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 12:14:48 AM »
     Grant,
  Sounds like a great idea and something I can check. When I called Rixens 3 months ago he advised keep looking, the valve is somewhere. Thanks Steve for the consolation comment. Wisconsin kicked our butt. Fred
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:40:06 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 01:59:02 PM »
Jim Rixen is a great guy and I love the Comfort Hot he installed for me.  But IMHO his primary focus is on selling his new hydronic systems and not on servicing Hurricanes.  Earlier this week, the shop that was working on my Hurricane called Jim about replacement parts and his answer was "no one makes parts for those old things anymore."  I suggested they call ITR instead and now my Hurricane is on its way to WA to be rebuilt by the boys at ITR.  I suggest calling Kevin Lambert at ITR in Vancouver WA instead
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:32:56 PM by Joel Weiss »
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
     Thanks Joel,
 I'll give them a call on Monday, What would be awesome is to find the original engineering prints that ITR had to approve on the installation of their product in another manufacturer. Such prints usually exist because of the liability incurred when the two companies do business. BTW I had to look up IMHO because I'm new to this blog stuff.  Happy Easter, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV