Author Topic: transmission sump size  (Read 9876 times)

Jerry and Kay Hudson

transmission sump size
« on: April 10, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »
Hi,

We are getting ready to change the transmission fluid and filters in the next month or so. We have a 2002 Beaver Contessa with the 370 cummins and the MH 3000 Allison transmission. as I am overseas, I cannot get under the coach to read the serial number of the transmission. what I need help with is which sump was used most commonly on the 02 Contessa? the 2" or 4"? Also the fluid was changed a few years ago but it has been 5 years or so. How much fluid can I anticipate using for the change?

Also has anyone used SuperSyn transmission fluid?

thanks in advance for the replies.
Jerry

Gerald Farris

Re: transmission sump size
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:49:02 PM »
Jerry,
The 2 inch sump is by far the most common transmission in Beavers. With a 3000 series transmission you will use a little less than 5 gallons of fluid with a shallow pan. The 4 inch pan adds two quarts.

I have never had any experience with the fluid that you ask about. I only use TranSynd in an Allison transmission.

Gerald
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:06:46 PM by Gerald Farris »

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »
Jerry,

I would be an advocate of using what Allison recommends here which is Castrol Transynd. This fluid was engineered for this application in concert with Allison who extended their warranties with the use of this fluid. TES295 is the spec and perhaps the fluid you are using meets that spec, not sure. Link to approved fluids
http://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/on-highway-fluids

Just do not see a downside to using what is recommended and widely available.

Later Ed

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:32:24 PM »
Hi Jerry,

We have an 03 Contessa with the same transmission as you.  I just changed the filters and Transyd and our sump is the 4" not the 2" so I am afraid someone will have to verify the depth of the sump for you.

Good luck,

Paul

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:17:28 AM »
Mines an 01 Contessa with a four inch sump.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Dan Stussi

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 06:10:13 AM »
Since we are on the transmission subject, I have a couple of questions. We have a 1998 Monterey with the MH 3000 transmission. The MH has 54,000 miles on it, and I have no idea if it has ever been changed. It looks great, and does not smell burnt. I am thinking that changing it  be a good thing to do. Anyway, what fluid came in the transmission originally. Standard Dexron or Transynd? Can you upgrade to transynd if it was standard tranny fluid? If you can, is there a way to get the old fluid drained from the torque convertor?

Dan

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »
Thanks,

we have an appointment with Stewart Stevenson in Harvey to have the work done. I was thinking about doing it myself but since they are an authorized Allison facility, I will let the pros take care of it.

thanks for the responses,

Jerry

William Jordan

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 02:25:49 PM »
Since we are on the transmission subject, I have a couple of questions. We have a 1998 Monterey with the MH 3000 transmission. The MH has 54,000 miles on it, and I have no idea if it has ever been changed. It looks great, and does not smell burnt. I am thinking that changing it  be a good thing to do. Anyway, what fluid came in the transmission originally. Standard Dexron or Transynd? Can you upgrade to transynd if it was standard tranny fluid? If you can, is there a way to get the old fluid drained from the torque convertor?

Dan

Dan,  from what I found out from my previous mh is , that if original , that vintage 3000 would have standard fluid not  transynd .
The procedure to change to transynd involves changing the fluid twice ( say a year apart ) it's not possible to remove all the fluid in one step, so allison recommends the two change $$$ method
 A good way to discover what you have I would think would be a fluid test /analysis . From what I've read , once your on transyd rather than changing by time/mileage a fluid analysis can be used to determine if you should change it. A ex-Allison engineer on another forum feels that you may never have to change it ( transynd)  in normal motorhome use.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:28:25 PM by William Jordan »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 05:04:35 PM »
Dan,
Dexron fluid was originally used in your transmission, and if you are not sure if it has been changed to TranSynd, I would urge you to have a fluid analysis ran to determine the fluid type and condition.

There is a way to purge the Dexron fluid from the torque converter and transmission cooler when changing over to TranSynd, but it normally takes two people and can be a little messy. First you drain the transmission, change the filters and refill with TranSynd. Then you disconnect the return line from the transmission cooler to the transmission and place the end over a drain pan. Next have someone crank the engine, let it idle, and immediately kill it when the fluid flow starts to change color. This will get as much of the Dexron fluid out as changing the fluid twice does.

Gerald

PS: Allison no longer recognizes Dexron as an acceptable fluid for use in their transmissions.     

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 08:04:49 PM »
Gerald, I may get blasted for this, but I just checked Allisons web site and they have a substantial list of TES 389 approved fluids for on highway vehicles. The difference being shorter time and mile fluid change intervals. Marty

Dan Stussi

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 01:05:56 AM »
Thank you William and Gerald for your response. I bought it from the 2nd owner and I know he did not change the fluid. I helped friend build a drive on pit for his Prevost last year so I think he owes me one.

Dan