Author Topic: Hydraulic Leveling Pump and Reservoir  (Read 13831 times)

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
Hydraulic Leveling Pump and Reservoir
« on: April 10, 2015, 05:50:53 PM »
      We have a 2008 beaver Marquis and discovered a puddle of fluid under the front right bumper of the motorhome. I traced the leak which is very slow to our 2.0 gallon hydraulic reservoir that is attached to the hyd pump. There is a crack in the bottom of the reservoir neck and I can tell that continuous bouncing of the reservoir most likely caused the crack. The reservoir id not supported at the extreme end, the only support is at the neck where it is attached to the hyd pump, poor design in my opinion.
     So, for those who have a similar reservoir, I would take steps to support the end of the tank.
     Now, I need to do a temporary repair to seal this crack, tank is not under pressure, any ideas on a product that would seal the crack until a permanent repair can be made. I am also going to add some support to prevent and flexing at the tank. The crack is on the bottom of the neck and about 1 1/2 " in length.
     Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Larry D.

Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Edward Buker

Re: Hydraulic Leveling Pump and Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:13:13 PM »
Grind/sand the area and then clean the surface with solvent and maybe some JB Weld would work or some West Marine 2 part epoxy. Trick is getting it clean enough to have the material stick. You may check on fuel tank repair kits and see what the instructions say and if they might be suitable.

Later Ed

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 05:03:16 AM »
Ed.
       I appreciate the advice. Since the system is only for the hyd leveling, I may just drain the reservoir to prevent leaking fluid and wait 4 weeks to have Beaver Coach Sales replace the system. Initially I thought it operated the slides also, but by reading our manual, I now know better. We have air leveling which will suffice.

Thanks               Larry D.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 02:13:55 PM »
FYI Larry I did have a similar leak puddle on our rig. I found one of the slide solenoids leaking and had thought it was the hdy. resv. I had the solenoid seals fixed and no more puddle.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 04:02:34 PM »
Jerry
       Thanks for the information, experience from others is valuable. Unfortunately the reservoir neck is definitely cracked. I have concluded it's not that bad of a problem since it will not prevent us from continuing our journey. After some thought and understanding that only the hyd leveling is affected, I will drain the reservoir, don't want all that fluid getting on the undercarriage.

Thanks again for passing on your knowledge.                     Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:13:25 AM »
The hydraulic reservoir on my 2001 Contessa does operate my living room slideout.

I had issues with mine and service tech drained the reservoir and never filled it back up and my l/r slide came all the way out on a main highway.

Mine is held in by pressure from fluid from the reservoir....
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 10:35:06 PM »
LaMonte:
               Thanks for the info, but after researching in the manual, as I should have, they are separate on my coach. I need to research instead of assuming. The two pumps and reservoirs sit within two feet of each other and I did not realize this.

Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 03:56:20 AM »
I had my coach at Alliance and they had no knowledge of the hydraulic reservoir operating my front slide. But now they do since I had a jack leak and they depleted the fluid working on the jack system.

Then I picked up the coach and had the slide come all the way out during a turn.

Now I recheck anything they do before I leave there........with a smile of course!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 04:45:56 AM »
I think I would be finding a different shop, guess that is why I do all my own work, then if something is wrong I know where to find the guy that did it.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 07:40:59 PM »
Alliance Coach is supposed to be one of the best in Florida....I've had the coach there three times and issues with two of those times...

They did fix the problems to my satisfaction, but only after complaining and raising my blood pressure!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Joel Weiss

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 02:23:13 AM »
I had my coach at Alliance and they had no knowledge of the hydraulic reservoir operating my front slide. But now they do since I had a jack leak and they depleted the fluid working on the jack system.

Then I picked up the coach and had the slide come all the way out during a turn.

Now I recheck anything they do before I leave there........with a smile of course!

I'm not sure about a Contessa but on a  2000 Patriot Thunder the front slide mechanism and the jacks share a common hydraulic reservoir but it is different from the one that is used for the power steering and engine fan.  The front slide uses the RVA leveling system pump and reservoir.  We know because we've had the pump replaced as well as the high pressure hoses powering the slide.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 03:07:43 PM »
On many late model Monaco built coaches the hydraulic leveling jacks were Power Gear so they used a Power Gear pump and reservoir. However, the hydraulic slide system was built by HWH, so they used a pump and reservoir from HWH. It sounds like a waste to me, but that is the way that they chose to build them.

Gerald