Author Topic: Flexible sink drain  (Read 10618 times)

Joel Weiss

Flexible sink drain
« on: April 11, 2015, 12:16:26 AM »
Those of you with kitchens on slideouts have to contend with a sink drain line that was originally fabricated with a 1-1/2 ID pond hose.  On my Princeton model the hose connects to a fixed vertical pipe.  Closing the slide forces the hose to bend.  Several years ago I replaced the original hose and created a one-loop "coil" that allowed the hose to slide over itself which reduces the stress during slide closure.  However, after 3+ years of use my replacement hose developed a crack between the "coils" of hose reinforcement in an area where it was being stressed by the closing slide.   

After researching the matter, I found a hose made by Little Giant that is far more rugged than what I used before and what the original was.  It's a little more expensive, but it definitely is a sturdier product.  Since I had to buy 25 feet of it, I have enough to repeat the repair, if needed.  However, I really don't think this one is going to crack anytime soon.  ;D  This new hose is actually labeled as "flexible PVC pipe" and can be glued with PVC cement if you don't want to use hose barbs and hose clamps.  If anyone is interested the item can be bought here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001213DG4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett, Jerry Emert, Dale Barham

Frank Towle

Re: Flexible sink drain
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 02:06:14 AM »
Joel, did you repeat the loop?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:00:55 AM »
Joel, did you repeat the loop?

Yes, I included one loop.  The Little Giant is much "smoother" than the original hose or the one I installed several years ago, so I can hope that it will slide over itself as the slide closes.  I had to buy 25 ft which is more than twice as much as I needed so I now have enough for another repair if one is ever needed.

For those who also have a Princeton model from the 1999-2001 period, it's worth noting that the drainpipe from the sink terminates in a completely inaccessible back corner of the cabinetry.  Since I had no interest in disassembling cabinets to reach that location, I removed the drawers to the left of the sink and cut the pipe where I could reach it.  I could then snake the hose around the corner to the drain post which is behind the drawers under the cooktop.   
The following users thanked this post: Dale Barham

Greg Kamper

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 06:11:10 PM »
Thanks Joel, Mine just broke this last weekend on New Years day in San Diego... Now that we're home I can fix it. I shouldn't complain, 16 years was pretty good life for the hose, although I sure did complain trying to get the old one off!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 07:10:04 PM »
Timely post Joel!  Mine is in the process of failing.  I have the same hose but much easier to deal with.  Mine is outside under the slide.  It doesn't break (so far) but starts to kink, when well used, so the sink won't drain when the slide is in.  It's time to replace it again.  I'll try your suggested replacement.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
I used spa hose to replace the broken OEM hose in  our 01 Contessa. It probably isn't quite as flexible as Joel's solution but it will not leak or break over time. Hint, use a heat gun or hair drier to get it over the barbed ends.  http://hardwareonlinestore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=29990&virtuemart_category_id=46602&gclid=Cj0KEQiAtK3DBRCBxt-Yxduq5p4BEiQAbFiaPVaA1kTkyMPIHZt_y15I0UmHERWPw0eDDMkcIiIKgUsaAg6A8P8HAQ&ppcsclkid=p26ItLj641nX&ppcstrkid=1332290283&ppcsu=xhg7f5djqitnahs
It should be available at most home improvment store. I got mine at Menard's in MN.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

George H. Wall

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:02:23 AM »
Several years ago, I repaired mine with radiator hose, 2 links, and has worked well!!  Henry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 09:01:56 AM »
I replaced ours in 2012 with original equipment hose.  I mitigated the problem not by changing material, but by installing a longer section than the factory did.  When I carefully analyzed things and measured, the original's loop could've moved another couple inches before hitting anything when the slide moves in, and a larger-ranging loop during slide-out would've meant less stress near where it mounted to the hard pipe, and perhaps no kink there.

The kink, as many of us discovered, means cracking at the kink;  subsequent leaking of kitchen sink drain water there, which if hidden under cabinetry may not show up until unpalatable smells instigate an investigation, or water gets under tiles destroying adhesion or damages things in the bays.  If you're lucky, slow drain flow gets you looking sooner rather than later. 

For those that haven't reached that point, it might behoove them to check their hose, when the galley slide is out, to see if it's developing a weakening flex or a kink near where the hose connects to the black floor pipe.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 04:40:33 PM »
I also developed a leak and after searching the area found the sink drain line split open in two places. I found a piece of pool hose(heavy duty) at Lowes and replaced it with that.
The hardest part was getting to the hose as its way back behind the cabinets. I pulled out the drawers and got to it easier but still was hard to get the old one off. I added a few feet tothe new hose and routed it a bit different than before.

Its been fine for three years now.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Roger Rempe

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 08:20:32 PM »
Timely post indeed! The other day I noticed some water in a storage compartment. First thing that popped into my head was this thread. I located the flex hose on my Monterey inside the wall next to the kitchen slide. Sure enough, it was kinked and split. I was able to find some 1-1/2" ID spa hose at an Ace Hardware. The local big box stores didn't carry it. I used a couple of flex connectors and increased the length as per other's suggestion. Wanted to put in a coil but, concerned about the amount of room inside the wall. 
The following users thanked this post: Dale Barham

Greg Kamper

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 03:11:06 PM »
I just fixed mine over the weekend. I was worried because the pond hose is very stiff. I tried to make a loop, but I couldn't figure out how that would fit. I ended up putting a bungy cord around it to pull it up as the slide came in, otherwise it would get bound up by the wall. The last thing I need is for the hose to break the pvc pipe that it is attached to.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 05:39:06 AM »
Everyone
We are in the midst of doing this project except that the space shown in Rogers pictures and all is much better than ours. 
I am trying to picture what Joel means by a coil.  How would you put a loop or anything like a coil in.  I guess I am a bit slow on the uptake but it is important given the very limited space we have.  What do you say Joel?

I did figure out that the main cause of failure in the original PVC flex tube was the purple primer used in the white PVC fitting.  The primer softens the PVC and since it was applied too far up the tube that is where it tore loose.  The tube was too short to begin with and twisted in multiple ways.  Then they strapped other lines to it with zip ties which added alot of weight.  I mention this just so someone else might benefit down the road .

LOOK AT PICS BELOW!  (Provided by my wonderful wife!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:59:33 AM by Carol Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Carol Moffett

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 08:57:13 AM »
Here are pics of what we are dealing with!
They are self explanatory...NOTE* The last pic should be in the #2 position and the second to last one is of the very bottom of the cabinet
and shows the tiny bit of white, at the very bottom, which is the lower end of the white drain hose!
Nigh on impossible to reach!  What fun!  ;D

As you can see, we have no "kink" but a big tear at the top where it joins the hard ABS. Obviously, the hose is too short and as it's also bound to surrounding wiring and other hoses, the stress point is obvious.  But what to do to prevent it from doing the same later on?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:26:45 AM by Carol Moffett »
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Roger Rempe

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 01:50:15 PM »
Crikey Keith...there's a lot of "stuff" going on in that tight space. Good luck!
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Carol Moffett

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 05:09:49 PM »
Keith,
Is it possible to put an extension on the  PVC and tie the existing hose to it rather than trying to replace the complete hose (or add a splice in the existing hose to lengthen it). In any case I'd try to figure out how to avoid the stress in the hose from occurring at the PVC to hose junction.
Good Luck, Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett