Author Topic: Danfoss Hydraulic Pump Gasket  (Read 10112 times)

Lee Welbanks

Danfoss Hydraulic Pump Gasket
« on: April 12, 2015, 01:27:34 AM »
Today I decided to R&R the gasket on the main hydraulic pump because the little leak was beginning to leak more. Actually went real easy, used a ratchet strap to hold up the pumps and hoses so it would not fall down. Took off the hose support clamps, backed off the two 1/2" mounting bolts and moved the pump back a little to let the oil drain out, removed the bolts and used another strap to pull the pump back and hold it to be able to remove and clean the gasket surfaces.
Cleaned everything with Brake Spray, inspected the pump shaft which looks brand new, placed a thin film of Permatex Ultra-Gray, new gasket another thin film of Ultra-Gray, wait for the sealer to tack up and slide pump back in and install the two bolts. Put all the hose supports back in place and out from under the coach.
I will wait until tomorrow to fire it up to let the Ultra-Gray cure per the directions. Basically the reason it was leaking in the first place is that they used the wrong gasket, the one installed was for a 4 bolt flange, the gasket on the left is the orig and the correct gasket in on the Rt.
We'll see tomorrow if she is dry now with the correct gasket.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
Re: Danfoss Hydraulic Pump Gasket
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 07:55:03 PM »
Lee:
        Very helpful to hear your repair was rather easy. I have a 2008 Marquis with a C15 and I'm sure our PTO and Hyd pumps are the same. Mine is leaking also and it is now a repair that I would want to tackle myself. I am at times hesitant so as not to get myself onto more trouble but this sounds very basic. I am scheduled at Peterson Cat to have this done and hopefully it is an item on my extended warranty, if not I will do it.
         I am also curious, do you have to refill any oil in the chamber where the pto shaft and the pump meet. The tech told me they went from a dry to a wet (oil) mod for some reason. Any other information would be appreciated. This is the kind of fun things I like to do.

Thanks              Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 09:22:45 PM »
Larry,
I  believe yours has the pressure feed hose and fittings from the trans to the adaptor housing and pto.
The job was actually easier then I expected, use a ratchet strap to support the pump and pull it out, I added a quart to the trans because that's about what it leaked out,over time.
Shouldn't take them over a hr to do job. Let me know,if you need more info.
Also they went to the wet kit because the pump shafts were wearing out fast with no oil in them. Country Coach had a big problem with this as they were installing pumps without the wet kit which is pressure fed from the trans.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:23:58 AM by Lee Welbanks »

Bryan Schmidt

• BAC Member
Revisit: Danfoss Hydraulic Pump Gasket Replacement
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
We have a 2005 36’ Beaver Monterey Ventura IV with a Cat C9, with 27K miles on it.   On our last return trip home, I noticed the Allison Tx was running noticeably hotter than for the last 9 years, up in the 188+ instead of the nominal 165 degree range.  Once home, I discovered that the hydraulic fan pump/motor bolted to the passenger side of the Allison is drip/leak at what appears to the bolted joint between the 2 major subassemblies of the pump/motor.

Looking for recommendations as to who/what company I might contact to purchase a Sauer/Danfoss hydraulic fan pump/motor replacement gasket?  The model/type of the Sauer-Danfoss pump is CPC-1018 (see attached photo), built sometime in 07/04.   

I have already contacted:
-   BCS Parts: they do not carry anything that specific for the chassis parts, nor had a recommendation of what company to try to start calling
-   JDRV up in Bend/LaPine, OR since their website specifically mentions replacement Sauer-Danfoss fan motors and pumps, and they can even get custom replacement pump made up.    Figured if they had the pumps & motors, they must have access to replacement gaskets.  Net: bad assumption: JDRV can only get the pumps, not the gaskets.
-   Called NW RV Supply since they also carry Sauer-Damfoss fan motors on their website, but they also do not carry the gaskets, not if you buy a new pump, a new gasket does not come with it either
-   Called Henderson’s in Grants Pass, not for the repair, but for a possible lead.   Henderson’s said a real long shot on something like that might be Pacific Truck Centers over in Medford, OR (authorized Cat, Allison, Freightliner, etc shop).  Called PTC: Net: they can only look up Freightliner chassis items.
-   Called the Danfoss company itself, and they referred me to the nearest Danfoss Authorized Dealer; Berendsen Fluid Power, in Eugene, OR.  The service rep there did spend a lot of time researching this for me and he said that Sauer was bought out by Danfoss, but then that specific product line was again sold off to some other company who he did not know of.  Net: Danfoss itself did not have a replacement gasket.
-       Sent off e-mail to hydpumps on eBay since thsy seem to carry Sauer-Danfoss-Sunstrund gasket repair kits, thou no kits were listed for the CPC-1018 or its family.  Waiting for a response back.
-   I’ve dropped a PM to Lee Welbanks (author of original post) last week, but he must be offline and has not had a chance to respond back as to where he sourced a replacement gasket, or if he ended up having to cut/make his own out of flat gasket material.  Lee's original pictures (below) sure looked like factory cut gaskets to me.

Has anyone else attempted/completed this type of Danfoss pump/motor repair, and if so, do you remember where you were able to find the correct gasket?   I'm planning to complete the repair myself if possible.

If not, any recommendations of who/where next to try to contact to either secure a gasket or to have the unit repaired (I am still assuming that leak is indeed just the gasket and not a larger issue such as a cracked housing, bearing/shaft issue, etc)? Is a general consensus that I just start calling other heavy truck repair centers, like PTC, or construction heavy equipment repair for hydraulics, or others?

If I do have to drive the coach for the diag & repair, our preference would be somewhere around the south-west Oregon area, say Medford.   But if needed, I would start calling places up I-5 north, up to Colburg/Junction City area or beyond, or even over to Bend (6+ hrs, 1-way).    Distance to repair does matter since I loose about a quart of TranSyn every 30-40 miles or so.

Thanks
2005 Montrery 36' Ventura IV
Cat C9
Towing a Pathfinder
Navigated by 2 cats

Rod Ogle

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »
Bryan

You may want to try Gillig in Hayward, CA.  They supplied me some Danfoss Sauer parts in the past.  Here is their link to the parts department.    http://www.gillig.com/#!parts/c4l1   Good Luck!!

The following users thanked this post: Bryan Schmidt

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 01:44:20 AM »
Bryan,

I replied to you message like the same day, guess you didn't get the reply.

The pump gasket is a standard SAE B 2 bolt flange, if I remember correctly it has a 5 3/4"  bolt span. Measure the bolt spread and that will tell them what gasket it is, these are standard sizes for flange plates.
I got one gasket from Cat hydraulic shop here in Phoenix Az have it as a spare, the one I installed I got from Detroit Allison (WW Williams Co) here in Phoenix it is the same gasket as on a Series 60 Detroit engine power steering pump gasket (# DDE23516101 Detroit Number)
I used the Detroit gasket because it was a little thicker than the one I got from Cat
Get in touch with a Detroit Allison or Detroit truck shop and see if they have the gasket.
If for some reason you can't find one message me and I'll send the spare one to you.

Just looked up a Detroit Series 60 power steering pump and that is exactly the same flange as our hydraulic pump also the same power steering pump I had on my 3406 Cat. and I'm almost positive it is the same one on a Cummins
Just ask the part guy for a power steering pump gasket for a Detroit, Cat or Cummins engine.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:55:41 AM by Lee Welbanks »
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Schmidt

Bryan Schmidt

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 03:24:54 AM »
Ron and Lee:

You-da-man (or men) !!!!!!     Just what I was hoping for..      I will call tomorrow AM.. 

Seriously, thanks to you both....

Bryan
2005 Montrery 36' Ventura IV
Cat C9
Towing a Pathfinder
Navigated by 2 cats

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 04:28:18 AM »
Bryan,

My pleasure,,just glad I could help.