Author Topic: Overheat Issue  (Read 14901 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Overheat Issue
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 02:56:05 PM »
LaMonte,
The Check Engine light would come on when we hit 225 in our 01 Contessa. Didn't see a mention of that in this thread. Is it possible that the actual temp is not getting as high as the guage/sensors indicate???
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 03:29:36 PM »
LaMonte, sounds like your on top of cooling problem. What I cannot understand a trained
tech did not bleed the air from engine head when thermostats were first installed, now
basic redoing and checking his work and did not bleed air from engine head again. I think
the clock needs to be reset on (cost ) with no additional time. Do not think Tech has a real
picture of damage that can occur by cutting short correct install proceedure. As I first indicated
in my above post ( did they bleed air from head. ) MY suggestion being Tech test drive MH
and stated engine temperature was 225 F and returned back to shop. The temp at 225 is hot
damage is unlikely but cool down of head with engine stopped and no coolant in engine head
possible crack in head between injector and valve ( if small will appear at first ). I would make
note on your bill about heating and test drive just in case of problems down the road.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
LaMonte, sounds like your on top of cooling problem. What I cannot understand a trained
tech did not bleed the air from engine head when thermostats were first installed, now
basic redoing and checking his work and did not bleed air from engine head again. I think
the clock needs to be reset on (cost ) with no additional time. Do not think Tech has a real
picture of damage that can occur by cutting short correct install proceedure. As I first indicated
in my above post ( did they bleed air from head. ) MY suggestion being Tech test drive MH
and stated engine temperature was 225 F and returned back to shop. The temp at 225 is hot
damage is unlikely but cool down of head with engine stopped and no coolant in engine head
possible crack in head between injector and valve ( if small will appear at first ). I would make
note on your bill about heating and test drive just in case of problems down the road.

Just came from shop. Now they want me to drive it with a tech with me. I told him no way am I driving it with overheat issue. Now I have the service manager involved in the issue.
They want to pull radiator out and send to shop. He states the reading with a temp scan gauge reads same top and bottom of radiator. Should be a 14 degree difference per the manual.

I asked how this could be the issue, as it has never been an issue. Why would the radiator be clogged up now after sitting in their shop since the end of August.

Water pump belt, serpentine belt, thermostats, ac compressor, receiver/dryer, condensor motor, and rear wheel seals is all they have done in that time.

I told them that the final bill needs lot of adjustments for time. If radiator is not bad, then they will eat the labor time to remove and replace it. Also want to see radiator after removal to radiator shop to see the inside condition myself.

I told him about the bleed issue and one of the mechanics wanted to know who told me that, wanted a letter with info with letterhead from you. I just laughed at him, no mention of your name though!

They know what the next step will be if they don't fix it. We will see I guess. Gotta go cancel my trip for the holidays! Guess Hotel and auto time this year!
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »
LaMonte, Question is this a Cat Dealer ? I would suggect if engine has never had heat problem,
and now tech is and been laying the ground work for the main event. ( remove radiator ) now
they can get the bill to where they want it to be. Here is my thoughts ( get it out of there shop ).
I'm not buying the story that they are giving you. the way this has been paassed on I did not really think problem was major. the tech has his boss but after test drive I did not get answer to coolant
loss just heat 225 F . can you call me and I can help better over the phone. I can provide all info. with fact on bleeding air system and why but do not let them start tear down of radiator.
Davce Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 07:55:24 PM »
LaMonte, Question is this a Cat Dealer ? I would suggect if engine has never had heat problem,
and now tech is and been laying the ground work for the main event. ( remove radiator ) now
they can get the bill to where they want it to be. Here is my thoughts ( get it out of there shop ).
I'm not buying the story that they are giving you. the way this has been paassed on I did not really think problem was major. the tech has his boss but after test drive I did not get answer to coolant
loss just heat 225 F . can you call me and I can help better over the phone. I can provide all info. with fact on bleeding air system and why but do not let them start tear down of radiator.
Davce Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Yes it is a CAT dealer in Brooksville,FL Ringpower CAT.

No coolant loss at all anywhere, just overtemp of 225!

They are going to remove radiator and send it out. I told them I want to know when its out and sent. I want to see internal condition.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »
LaMonte, you mentioned two things, number one apparent never hear of bleeding air from
head, and number two which was the no loss of fluid. ( engine runs normal but heat indicator
shows extreme temperature 225. which tells a person your heat temperature is gauge is faulty/).
Pulling then radiator will not hurt except cost, but seems funny all the problem started in there
shop. Sorry I cannot help you any more but life is a learning experience and is a trend building
today with retired people on the road with motorhomes. You have many friends on the forum
I feel share the same concern. The downside to being down on the road ( your at service shop
mercy and out of your control ) Again wish there was more I could have done to help you.      Sometime when we will meet at a rally, I will provide cat information hard copy on how arriving
to answer to your post.    Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic  ( 42 years )
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 09:14:32 PM »
LaMonte, you mentioned two things, number one apparent never hear of bleeding air from
head, and number two which was the no loss of fluid. ( engine runs normal but heat indicator
shows extreme temperature 225. which tells a person your heat temperature is gauge is faulty/).
Pulling then radiator will not hurt except cost, but seems funny all the problem started in there
shop. Sorry I cannot help you any more but life is a learning experience and is a trend building
today with retired people on the road with motorhomes. You have many friends on the forum
I feel share the same concern. The downside to being down on the road ( your at service shop
mercy and out of your control ) Again wish there was more I could have done to help you.      Sometime when we will meet at a rally, I will provide cat information hard copy on how arriving
to answer to your post.    Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic  ( 42 years )

thanks Dave for all the help. Guess we live and learn. I thought it was a good idea to get the thermostats changed, murphys law applys I guess! We will see what the issue is with the radiator once its out, if anything.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl