Author Topic: How to choose the right replacement air conditioner - 2004 Beaver Marquis  (Read 6156 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
The bedroom air conditioner in our 2004 Beaver Marquis does not cool as it should.  Being a relatively new coach owner, I recently was educated that they cannot be recharged but rather need to be replaced. 

I'm OK with that but went onto Camping World's website to pick one out and WOW.... where do i start. 

Any guidance would be appreciated.  How many BTU's?  Does the current one have a heat pump?  I think it does but not sure...  Any size issues?  Can I get a standard height or do I need low profile.

Thanks in advance!
Rick
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

Marty and Suzie Schenck

The product build sheet for your coach should be on the inside of a closet door or inside of a cabinet door. Those sheets spec out the model numbers of appliances installed on your coach. If you can't find that, try calling Monaco and give them the serial number of your coach. They have some records. If that doesn't work, go up on the roof, take the cover off of the bad AC and get the model and serial number off of the tag attached to the AC.
Marty

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
A year ago my center air conditioner's compressor froze up - as-in would not operate, not as-in it covered with ice.  FYI - My air conditioners double as heat pumps and cooling units.  When I would turn it on to cool it would make a rather abrupt and loud noise and pull massive amps for just a few seconds before shutting down and going through a delay process.  A couple times I saw 75 amps on one leg of the Aladdin when the air conditioner was trying to start.  This air conditioner was one of several items I had Mike Flowerday repair/replace last Fall (2014).  Mike said these things are throw away items.  Generally, it costs nearly as much to repair them as it does to replace them with a new one.  After referencing my coach's equipment sheet located on the back of the bathroom cabinet door, Mike knew what to get and where to get it. The new one had to have some sort-of conversion/modification kit installed which cost an extra $280.  The air conditioner was $1389 plus the $280 modification, total $1589, plus installation of $200.  In my coach the bathroom and bedroom heating/cooling/furnaces all operate from a single thermostat located in the bedroom.  I think I remember Mike saying the modification kit had something to do with that.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3069.msg29012.html#msg29012

If I can be of help getting numbers from my coach's equipment sheet, then please let me know.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:22:27 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gary Wolfer

Hi Rick
Your air conditioner most likely came from Laurelhurst distributing in Portland Or. to begin with. My suggestion is call ED there he can diagnose your problems over the phone they install and repair and have all parts in stock. They furnished Beaver and Safari, country coach and all major manufacturers in oregon in the day. They are the best. Their phone number is (503)236-2679 ask for Ed. Since you are in Colorado Springs after talking to Ed there is a very good but expensive shop in Colorado Springs called. One Stop Custom Shop or One stop Cop Shop. You can google them they have a web site. They worked on an inverter for me. They do all the city, county fire and police vehicles as well as complete motorhome repairs. I do not have their phone number. They are North East side of town. I think the owners name is Robert. (stay as far away from Camping world as you can) I found the link to this shop in Colorado Springs. It is amazing.

http://www.onestopcustomshop.com/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:54:02 AM by Gary Wolfer »

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Thank you all for great feedback.  Much appreciate! ;)
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12