Author Topic: Sky light cover  (Read 6745 times)

Randy Perry

Sky light cover
« on: May 16, 2010, 07:52:13 AM »
I had my coach washed recently, and the guy comes down after washing down the roof and said he was sorry, but "I broke the amber colored bubble plastic dome" :( It's the sky light above the shower and appears to be an external dome with a clear inner dome below it. Will I have a hard time finding a replacement dome?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Sky light cover
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:54:11 AM »
Randy
The plastic "dome" skylight is likely available at Beaver Coach Sales in Bend.  (541-322-1375 - Larry or Matt)  They are out of stock sometimes but as of the other day they had a number of them.  You might also want info. on removal and replacement as this can leak into the bathroom ceiling and rot it out.  I believe that they will suggest "acrylar" (misspelled).  This is a great sealant and I have used it with much better success than silicone which will shrink and leak.
Best of luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 02:19:33 PM »
If Beaver Coach Sales can not furnish you a skylight, there is a post on the supply and parts board that list a good source for custom made replacements. If you use the search function, you will find it.  
http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1235187755/s-new/  

Gerald

Randy Perry

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:34:53 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 12:00:32 PM »
Randy
Wanted to update a little further on that skylight install process.
Our skylight had been repaired several times in aparent attempts to stop the leak prior to our owning it.  The first attempt used silicone and every subsequent effort either went over this and did not stick (even silicone wont stick to itself), or addressed the wrong area thinking the silicone jad done the job in the first area.  It had not.  The amber plastic had a crack at the bottom of a channel in it and the silicone filler had come loose.
The solution is to clean all material off and start fresh.  Bend didnt have a replacement at the time so we had to repair.  After much anguish and searching I found the afore mentioned crack.  I also found that a $10. heat gun (set on low) and a putty knife took about 1/2 of the work out of the job.  I just had to be careful to keep the heat gun moving and do small strips at a time so as not to burn the roof.
I used two layers of a product called "clear seam" which is a very clear flexible adhesive in a caulking gun and then two layera of "acrylar" for final seal and UV protection.

I bet you already know these things and if so thanks for listening.  I just HATE silicone.  After 5 RV's and spending long, long, longlonglong tedious hours scraping it off so something else would stick and fixing the water damage which results from failed silicone.  I am currently doing our marker lights which have 10 years of layers of failed silicone and still leak.  
DID I MENTION I HATE SILICONE?

Best to you and yours!
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!