Author Topic: Check engine light  (Read 6515 times)

Dan Murphy

Check engine light
« on: April 13, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
On our way home from Florida we got the dreaded "check engine" light about 60 miles from home.The coach is running good and all fluids are good ,temps are good, but the code on the LCD display shows an SPN 3474 FMI 31 code in the diagnostic readout.
The Cat Hotline says the code is a failure to ignite code and I probably have an issue with the ARD and/or regeneration function of the C9 engine I have.
I scheduled an app with the local Caterpillar shop for Wed and I was just trying to find out as much about this issue as I could before I get there.
I know there have been issues with this engine and the turbo and ARD head were replaced in June 2013.
What experience have others had lately??
Anything that might help me at the repair shop??
Thanks,
Dan

John Schenk

Re: Check engine light
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:44:28 PM »
Hello Dan;
I also have a 2009 Beaver Contessa and have had the engine light come on a few times. The problem did turn out to be a sensor on the ARD head . I did drive the coach for over 500 miles with the engine light on , apparently it could eventually go into a derate mode but in my case it did not. All the readouts were fine Eng temp oil temp etc

I have found out that it is very important to leave the coach running when you are in first gear or in park when the regen light is on and have it complete its cycle.
This is the light on the LHS the one on the right comes on if you have a regen  problem and stays on till its fixed. ( You might already be aware of this )

Hope this helps

John Schenk

Dan Murphy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:44:09 PM »
Hey John
Thanks for your reply. On mine the there are 2 indicator lights in regards to the regeneration cycle. The light on the left comes on if there is a problem with regen and Ive never seen this light on. The light on the right { according to the manual }comes on during an active regen cycle. And you are correct, I never shut the engine off if this light is on. In fact I usually turn on the high idle and wait for the light to go out.The manual says its ok for this light to be on but to watch for the check engine light.If both lights come on there may be a problem.
  It always happens when I stop for the night or I stop for fuel. It came on 3 times on the 1000 miles trip home this year. Then the check engine light came on for the first time about 60 miles from home.
I am just seeking as much info as I can so I don't get repairs made that aren't needed. Ive read where turbos may have been changed when that was really not needed.
I hope it is just a sensor like you suggest and easy to fix and reasonable in cost.

Laurel Moore

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 02:15:55 AM »
My 2009 beaver stop engine light would stay on until the key was turned off,  restart the engine and the light would stay off for about an hour then come back on cat had to installed a soft ware update
Laurel Moore
2009 Beaver Contessa 43ft
Toad 2011 Jeep Wrangler

Dan Murphy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »
Update on check engine light---the tech had the coach all day yesterday and could not get the engine to do a manual regeneration and said he had some further testing to do.The failure to ignite code is still registering.
He says it can be fuel flow or air flow but he was going to do more testing today.

As of today 04/17 the Cat garage has said I need a new turbo and ARD head installed. They say the parts alone cost $7500 and installation will be time and material with no indication how long they will take.

Sounds like I am at Caterpillars mercy on this one! I have talked to the Cat Hotline and the Tech Coordinator at McAllister Machinery where the coach is parked and they are really not very helpful people. I hate for them to even do the work but I have called around and cannot find a remanned turbo or even anybody else willing to even look at the problem.I sure wish I had known what I know now about this Cat engine before I bought it!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:04:26 PM by Dan Murphy »