Author Topic: Closet too hot  (Read 7641 times)

Robert Wagner

Closet too hot
« on: August 04, 2014, 12:28:24 AM »
I hope I am posting this right.

Glad I finally got on here as I have been meaning to for quite some time. We have a 2006 beaver Monterey Laguna IV. We love our mh and travel 6 months out of the year.

Couple of questions. Has anyone had a problem with insulation from the engine compartment and the closet. We have never been able to use our closet when we are driving as it gets way too hot in there.

I guess just one question as I have forgotten the other one. Lol. I will remember and post it later.

I guess I should be a little clearer. We but a thermostat in the closet and it gets up to 220 degrees. We leave our cloths that hang up but shoes and everything on the floor has to be taken out or they get wrecked. I am looking for a solution to this problem. Other people have their engines under the closet and do not have this problem.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 03:00:15 PM by 29615 »

Louis Williams

Re: Closet too hot
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 03:55:44 AM »
My '06 Monterey has the same problem. I had insulation installed in the engine compartment several years ago, but it helped very little if any. The temperature really rises on a hot summer day here in the South!!

Jon Treder

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 04:28:10 AM »
We too have an 2006 Monterey and experience the same issue.  We use the closet as a closet so it really does not matter to us how hot the clothes get while we are traveling.  But the bedroom also get very warm.  So, as we approach our stop we fire up the generator and run the AC to cool it down prior to our arrival; otherwise we run the AC as soon as we connect to shore power.  My feeling is that this is just a fact of life with the engine directly under the closet.  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 03:35:22 PM by 5 »

Justin Youngren

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:34:46 PM »
our 2006 Monterey Laguna IV is the same way!  What I did is on the inside of the closet I put a welding blanket down then a rug over that, then along the bed I used a silver bubble wrap windshield shade and that works good it just may not look the best.  The shade that I got was for big trucks and mhs and I just folded it to fit along the bed and it slides right under the slide-out with no interference.  I still need to cut it at the corner of the bed for a better fit but wanted to make sure it was going to work.  It is also up the wall to the bottom of the closet doors.  Who knows maybe you already got it figured out anyway.  

Pam
p.s. I will probably change out the rug inside the closet to another silver shade cause it keeps out the heat better.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:55:09 PM by 5 »

Robert Wagner

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 05:17:52 PM »
We have it at Oregon motor coach. They are working on the problem. Hopefully and I am confident they will be able to fix the problem.

Will post here what and how they did it.

Thank you.
Safe travels.

Robert Wagner

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
I thought the same thing with the engine just below. However in talking to others found that it is not just a fact of life. We are hoping it gets fixed. We ruined too many shoes already when we forgot to move them out.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 07:13:09 PM »
Presumably one could install 12v. fans to increase fresh air flow in the space between the engine and the compartment ceiling, but if I recall correctly it has questionable affect for those who've tried it.  I suppose that would depend on the number and size of the fans, and how they were configured.  I imagine that they would be most effective after parking for the day, when ambient residual engine heat would rise up and soak the ceiling;  a fan system drawing cooler outside air in would mitigate that soaking effect.  I think also if one runs some hot water it helps dissipate engine heat a smidge through the hydronic engine exchange loop.

In our case, also an '06 Monty, we're graveyarders.  By the time we're ready to crash at 3 a.m., open wardrobe door and open windows and/or AC fans have settled the bedroom thermometer a bit, plus the wife likes it warmer than me anyway.  Otherwise for us, though occasionally annoying, the residual road heat hasn't been enough to prompt any efforts to structurally compromise it.  Still, Robert, I'm curious to know how your shop addresses the issue.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:57:57 PM »
Hello I am addressing the problem as of now. I am installing and 16 in x16 in 2500 CFM  pusher fan on the engine access door at the back of the coach controlling the temp is a sender set at 200 Deg on and 185 Deg off haven't got it yet bought it yesterday from Summit Racing. It should do the job as i saw same set up on a Marquis but fan was Hyd. driven. I believe the fan pushing the hot air out faster will add in engine cooling as well as engine compartment cooling.

Robert Wagner

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 08:00:54 PM »
Ok we got it back from Oregon motor coach and the reinsulating it with a good quality insulation. It still gets a little hot but nothing like it was before. So hopefully that will be the end of it. They did a great job on our renovations as well.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley