Author Topic: Water Heater not hot...  (Read 3784 times)

Greg Kamper

Water Heater not hot...
« on: April 18, 2015, 12:27:58 AM »
I'm sure most of you know what I'm about to post, so I don't mind if everyone wants to laugh at me... Last week our family took a trip up through Oregon from warm and sunny central Ca. The weather in Or. was not quite as warm and sunny as I was used to. Last summer I put in a brand new electric water heater and water heat exchanger because the original ones were leaking. We also used our furnace for the very first time. The old water heater did heat the water up and it usually took 30 min, so I though, to heat up the water. Since most of our camping has been dry camping we would always run the gen for 45 min in the morning and evening. I would turn the "water" heater switch on in the kitchen so we could have hot water, and it always worked until this trip. I also thought I had an electrical problem because the furnace fans only turned on when I switched the "water" heater switch. After calling Jim at Rixens, he taught me a lot about our coach. The switches were not water heater switches, but furnace hi/low fan switches( I also found one in bedroom). He remembered that on our coaches if the water spray valve is left on(hot&cold) the hot water will blend with the cold and you will only have warm water at best. After closing the valve we enjoyed nice hot showers on our last morning. I also had flame out problems with my Hurricane water heater, but that was a simple fix as well... The exhaust pipe slipped off right under the heater and the wind was blowing out the flame. I just thought I would share so anybody else who reads this might be saved a lot of grief.
PS... my coach didn't come with an owners manual, but I am printing one out now...

Joel Weiss

Re: Water Heater not hot...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »
BTW, the cold water mixing problem is something that occurs in any RV, not just a Beaver, if you leave the exterior faucet or shower spigots on with the shower head shut off.  It's a common newbie mistake.

If you do have future issues with your Hurricane I strongly urge you to contact Kevin Lambert at ITR in Vancouver WA  http://itrheat.com/contact-us/.  ITR built the device; Rixen is a great guy but he no longer handles the product and doesn't have parts available if you needed them.  Kevin just did a major rebuild on my system at a very fair price.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 04:17:20 PM »
Greg,
It's always helpful if forum users know the year, model, and engine for your coach. After logging in you can enter the info by going to Profile, Forum Profile, and then entering the info in the Signature box. Once completed, click on Change Profile.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Greg Kamper

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 07:31:56 AM »
Thanks Joel, I will remember that.
 Thanks Steve, I fixed that as well. I did it when I joined but we accidentally let our membership slide so I had to start over and I forgot. :)
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett