Author Topic: Hurricane "rebuild"  (Read 6201 times)

Joel Weiss

Hurricane "rebuild"
« on: April 18, 2015, 04:09:42 PM »
Two weeks ago Iron Horse RV in San Antonio removed my Hurricane and shipped it to ITR in Vancouver WA for repair/rebuild.  There were so many problems evident with the unit that I didn't want to simply order parts without knowing the totality of the issues.  One thing we knew for sure was that the fuel pump had an internal leak that was resulting in raw fuel being dumped into the exhaust line.  Kevin repaired the unit quickly and easily installing a new compressor and regulator in addition to the pump.  Because of our schedule we paid for 2-day shipping of the item both ways (not something I recommend as a regular event), but it has now been reinstalled and works like new.  There was some unburned fuel in the exhaust line but after ~an hour of continuous operation it burned out and now the exhaust is totally smoke free.

BTW, if you've not happened to discover it, you can force the Hurricane to run without it reaching its maximum limit temperature by opening your gray water drain, turning off the breaker for your hot water tank and running cold water through the kitchen sink tap.  The Hurricane will attempt to heat the incoming cold water and by doing so will remain below the temp at which the Aquastat will force the burner to turn off.  With my Hurricane now totally tuned up I was impressed that it could heat the incoming cold water to a usable enough temperature that I could have washed dishes or even have taken a shower with it.  That's indicative of how well the flame is heating the circulating fluid; I'm not sure it's ever operated this well in the 4+ years we've had the coach.

Matthew Harger

Re: Hurricane "rebuild"
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 04:34:11 PM »
What did the cost of this overhaul rebuild cost to have ITR do??  I've also noticed on their website they mention something about a special replacement program for "older Beaver and Safari coaches" - Hurricane CO45DRF replacment program....just haven't had the time to call and inquire from them about it yet.

http://itrheat.com/products/hurricane-heating-systems/

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 05:12:14 PM »
There is a "full rebuild" program under which ITR will even give you a new product warranty; I think that's around $2k.  I paid less than $1k for what Kevin did to mine.  It was a bargain as far as I was concerned.
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 04:17:00 AM »
I went to Vancouver last year. Kevin replaced parts in my old hurricane unit. But after he replaced a few parts and half a days labor he said it was approaching the cost of a rebuilt unit so He took my old unit out and reinstalled the new unit for the cost of the replacement unit and did not charge me labor for the half day work he did. Kevin and ITTR are excellent in my book and I am glad I have a hurricane heater instead of another type although I cannot say it has endless hot water.