Author Topic: Step cover operation  (Read 12867 times)

Uwe Schmalenbach

• BAC Member
Step cover operation
« on: April 19, 2015, 11:26:06 PM »
I have a 2007 Contessa 40' and right now the step cover does not close when I press the step cover switch, with the ignition switch on. It worked normally one month ago, the last time I used it. Taking out the switch from the dash I saw that there are 5 wires connected to the back of the switch. Checking with a voltmeter and a good ground I found that there is no 12V DC voltage to any of the connectors. That would explain why the step cover does not move.

I think that one solution would be to bring 12V DC via e new wire from a source turned on by the ignition switch. But I do not know to which of the 5 connectors on the switch to bring the power given that I do not have an electric diagram for this area.
So, does anybody know to which of the 5 connectors of the switch  12 V DC should be brought?

Or any ideas how else to solve the problem?

Uwe Schmalenbach
2007 Contessa 40'
CAT C9 400 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Step cover operation
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 12:11:42 AM »
       Hi Uwe,
If you will look in the Front Run Panel in the compartment outside below the drivers window, on the fuse bank titled F13, you will find a 15amp fuse which I believe is the 4th one down from the top. It controls the step cover.
You need to take caution applying 12 volt power to a multiplex system which is what I believe you have.
     Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:17:15 AM »
    Uwe, I forgot to ask you, do you have any air pressure in the coach air system?  Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:22:29 AM »
    Uwe, I forgot to ask you, do you have any air pressure in the coach air system?  Fred

That was my first question, do you have air? The cover is driven by a air ram under the floor. Also could be the solenoid on the air valve, mine is on the firewall on the passenger side.
The following users thanked this post: Uwe Schmalenbach

Uwe Schmalenbach

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:51:10 AM »
I do have air according to both pressure gauges on the dash, 115 psi. and could not find any air solenoids that would operate the ram. When I called Monaco tech support at 1 877 466 6226 I was told that on my coach the step cover is operated by a gear drive located close to where the cover is. When crawling under the coach I could find the red and black wires going into a metal box located under the step cover but no way to get into that box. The screws holding that box are started from inside the box and no way to take them out from the outside. The Monaco folks suggested that I break the ends of the screws off  but even that would not let me take the box off to get to the motor that drives the gear drive.

Then I was told the only way to get things done is to go to a Monaco dealer or repair place. Unless I can find out how to get into the holding the gear motor myself, that seems to be my only solution.

Any comments offering help will be greatly appreciated.

Uwe Schmalenbach
2007 Contessa 40'
CAT C9 400 hp

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 06:00:33 AM »
I have a second switch to the right of the passenger's chair.  Do you have a switch there and if so, have you tried operating it from that switch?

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 02:11:16 PM »
      If your coach has a "linear actuator" which is 12 volt, I think you can access it by sliding your generator out and there should be a cover screwed to the bottom of the floor of the interior. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Uwe Schmalenbach

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 07:12:26 PM »
I do indeed have a 2. switch next to the passenger and it is not doing anything either. Today I just talked to another guy at the Monaco technical support group and he suggested that I Use a crow bar to tear off the carpet covered front of the step cover to get to the inside with access to the worm drive gear. He also said that Monaco in 2004 -5 switched from air driven systems for the step cover to worm gear driven ones.

Uwe
2007 Contessa 40'
CAT C9 400 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 07:49:49 PM »
To my vague recollection, BCS once accessed part of our cover mechanism via a cover under the carpet, next to entry tile, beside the driver's seat. 

But as to what your Monaco rep said about the cover being not air driven, ours is a 2006 powered via an air cylinder activated by an electric valve.  As long as there's at least 60psi in the tanks, it will operate.

You might want to diassemble the other switch and see if one of its leads is hot - this is some sort of two-way wiring setup.  But it is more likely your power source is faulty.  As Fred noted, your newer coach may have a Multiplex system in the chassis side;  my 2006 model has Multiplex only in part of the house side.  Rather than a fuse, there is a likely a circuit breaker in your electric bay, streetside front;  but then again I'm not familiar with a chassis multiplex system, and leave it to others to speak to that.

Below is a combo-photo of the pertinent part of our legend for that bay and our coach manual.  Breakers 15 & 16 (the left top, #two & three) are for the step itself, so ignore them.  I'm not sure that breaker 37 (bottom left) is for the cover, but check its connection regardless;  plus, your model may have breaker wiring quite different than mine of course.  But perhaps the information will help in some way.  Most coaches came with an electrical legend pasted on the inside of that bay door, but most legends seem to have also fallen off or faded.

If the cover was screw-drive, back when the cover did operate I'd think you'd have been able to hear the motor such a mechanism would require.  Except for the slight friction of the sliding cover itself in its track, ours is otherwise whisper quiet.

Also, the cover can jam in its track such that it won't appear to respond either way, especially with a relatively noiseless air-drive system.  But your lack of 12v. at the switch is telling another story.  With coach and chassis main battery switches off, use your multimeter to check for continuity of at least one of the cover switch wires to ground.

Joel

(click on the text below the image to open it larger in your computer's photo program and copy it.  I can email you a better image if you require one.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:49:07 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Uwe Schmalenbach

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 12:42:06 AM »
Thanks for all that info. Unfortunately what your system has does not apply to mine. It is indeed a worm gear system. Attached is an image that shows what I have. Recommended by a Monaco guy I broke off the front ledge of the step to see what I have. The problem is that the motor and drive gear are on the inside of the coach and about 3  feet away from the front where I have access. I cannot get to the back because there is only a  3 inch space between top and bottom. Monaco suggested that I manually turn the "screw" that connects front to back so that the cover comes forward and the motor become accessible. I will work on that even though I do not yet know how to do that.

In the interim I am trying to get an electrical schematic that shows how the switch and motor and fuse F3 are wired.

Uwe
2007 Contessa 40'
CAT C9 400 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 01:55:01 AM »
OK, well yours is obviously different than what I've seen.  I'd still want to ferret out the wiring first, to determine power available to the switches and motor to begin with.  You may not have to be messing with the motor and slide mechanism at all.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Uwe Schmalenbach

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »
I agree that checking out the wiring is the first next step. The question is: where do I go to get an electrical schematic that shows how the fuse F3, the dashboard switch and the motor are connected.  Uwe
2007 Contessa 40'
CAT C9 400 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 07:18:52 PM »
Uwe-

Looking at your owner's manual and house schematics, I see that your '07 Contessa is in some ways virtually the same and in other ways considerably different than my '06 Monterey.  Unfortunately they are different regarding the electrical bay and step cover.  The electric bay especially is a big change from Monaco's format in many of our coaches up to that point, and explains why I and others have in the past run into surprises trying to help owners of coaches like yours.

However, one BAC member went to the effort to supply our Coach Assist section with house schematics for a 2007 Contessa.  Perhaps he has access to the chassis ones also - I don't see them available in Coach Assist.  Your step cover wiring may be in such documentation.  He's not someone who posts here much, if at all, so out of respect for his privacy I'll send you contact info. separately, although as a member you could get that yourself.

Of note also is that apparently 2008 Monaco Scepters and Camelots may have been wired similarly to the Contessa;  perhaps that is true of the '07 models as well.  That means if unsuccessful here, you could try for chassis schematics from a more extensive resource on the FMCA and Monaco forums.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:24:29 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 11:09:31 PM »
Uwe,
I e-mailed you the schematics I have for 2008 Contessa.  Hope it helps.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp