Author Topic: Oasis Combi by ITR Replaces Original Hurricane  (Read 19092 times)

Joel Weiss

Re: Oasis Combi by ITR Replaces Original Hurricane
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 12:11:02 AM »

As for the efficiency, I have no idea what the efficiency rating is for the diesel boiler but if a gas furnace is 80% in the least of those systems, I'd guess that internally torching a fluid bottle would be much more than that since everything is closed up especially after the initial heat up but who knows? 

Just to close this item, the current DOE specification for mobile home oil furnaces requires a 78% efficiency, but it is quite likely that this number was lower ~15 years ago when the Hurricane was designed.  So assuming a 70% efficiency isn't unreasonable.  Oil burners are more cantankerous devices than are gas burners so there's no way to compare the two.  Here's the DOE spec: http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/furnaces-and-boilers 

But efficiency isn't all that important if you're not paying for electricity.  We only pay for electricity at our winter site.  All the rest of the year we stay at parks where electricity is included in the daily rate.  This means that we can use our Comfort Hot to heat for free rather than burn diesel fuel.  I don't care what electricity costs as long as it's free!  ;D

Mike Groves

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 04:27:00 AM »
Shouwey...glad we closed that one Joel...  :D

Well, I went over to storage today to look at the unit, and if I really want to attempt to insulate the cabinet to cut down on the noise, I would really have to do it right by removing the unit, installing probably plywood or something else, then reinstall the unit.  I'd have to make sure that I didn't have the possibility of starting a fire with the exhaust.  For now I think I'll be happy and relax about it.  Most of our use is during the warmer months, and now that we've purchase a lot at Pacific Shores I know we won't be going primitive and we can use electric heat during the night if necessary. 

Truth be told, there is a rule at Pacific Shores that one not use a diesel heat source (nor generators), but I spoke with the CFO before agreeing to purchase my lot, and she did tell me that rule isn't being enforced as stated.  Rather the idea is you don't operate these burners to the inconvenience of others.  I don't see that happening as during the colder months the park would be less used when the burner would be most needed.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 07:29:09 PM »
Your theory is probably correct, Mike.  But what you (and Pacific Shores) must take into account is that the electric side usually won't keep up with the higher hot water demand situations, like showers.  The diesel is far more efficient in that regard.  As long as both sides are on though, the diesel burn will be as limited as possible.

If a neighbor is relaxing on their patio opposite your hydronics exhaust pipe, or has their windows open on that side on a calm day, probably then you have a chance of incurring someone's wrath enough that they'd speak up.  The rule might only be enforced, like a development's CC&R's, if and when someone actually was miffed enough to file a complaint.

As we first began motorhoming, we were spoken to in a Canadian federal park when our old Pace Arrow's gasoline genset's noise and fumes bothered tenters enjoying a nearby fire ring.  That woke me up to such things bothering neighbors, so I've since tried to be extra cognizant of the genset and hydronic exhaust relative to nearby fellow campers and wind conditions, etc.  Unfortunately both those systems port on the streetside, which commonly has someone's patio/picnic table area proximal to it. 

Additionally, my wife is unusually sensitive to such exhaust fumes and even has trouble enjoying a campfire anymore, much to my chagrin, so it behooves me to take a lot of things into consideration before "lighting up" anything, or even where we park the coach overnight relative to others' firepits.  Even with windows closed, you may already have realized the slideout seals on our rigs aren't exactly airtight, and fumes and bugs get in regardless.

At least the wind at Pacific Shores should work to your advantage.   

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Groves

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 09:24:06 PM »
Joel,

You're absolutely correct in that you say.  We do have a bit of a (dis)advantage in that ITR installed the system with the exhaust pointing at our patio rather than on the driver's side.  So to neighbors that's an advantage. 

Bottom line, the diesel will get little use most of the time we're there, but the funny thing is most of these coaches have that heating system, but then again, they also have the heat pumps I guess as they are typically a bit newer than mine and heat pumps were the next big thing to come along. 

Anyway, the only concern would be for enough hot water and then only during showers, and if its not heating the rig, the 1500w element might even be enough for that as my wife and I don't take those long showers (our dishwasher only uses about 3 gallons during its 40 minutes plus run time).  I'll use space heaters to keep the coach warm because those are 100% efficient I understand.

Mike