Author Topic: How to remove ceiling speaker cover  (Read 4359 times)

Dennis Evans

How to remove ceiling speaker cover
« on: April 21, 2015, 10:36:35 PM »
Before I go yanking and pulling on the white round speaker grills, I would like to know if anyone can enlighten me how it is done on a 2006 Monterey.  Has anyone replaced these speakers?  I appreciate any insight.

Dennis Evans

Roger Rempe

Re: How to remove ceiling speaker cover
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:41:33 PM »
I've been meanin' to ask the same thing Dennis!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 11:04:46 PM »
Well, you guys got me curious.  I just went out to the coach and found that if you push the fingertips of both hands up into the ceiling cushioning and behind the speaker ring, you can get your fingertips behind it and pull down, perhaps with some degree of finger knarling force, but just on the very edges.  The white escucheon/grill ring just tension-fits over the edge of the speaker body, and will pop down and off, and go back on pretty easily.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:23:04 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Roger Rempe

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 02:35:36 PM »
Thanks for the tip Joel but, try as I might I can't knarl my fingers enough to pry off the grills. At least now I know that this is the correct method and when I do take them off I'll use a couple of small pry bars.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:53:33 AM »
I'd use care with pry bars.  If you get too far underneath you'll engage the edge of the black speaker body, and you likely don't want to be prying down on that.  Yet the edge of the white ring escutcheon is plastic, and if forced it might crack or be marred if your bar slips;  the ring is maybe only 1/8 in. thick.

I went out and tried removing mine again and it wasn't so easy.  A gentle screwdriver pry got one edge started, and my fingers worked around the edge to finish getting it off.  A bit perplexed at it being more difficult, I examined the escucheon more closely.  The speaker body rim has four mildly raised nubs equally spaced around it.  The white ring has four matching slight rectangular depressions around the inside of its rim.  It was obvious that after taking the photo for you, I'd pressed the ring back on without noting the nubs and depressions, so it was harder to remove the second time.  That may be your problem;  someone's put the ring on without aligning the nubs with the depressions.

So hopefully the photo below will be of some help when you do get the ring pryed off, and you can replace it properly.  Note the rectangular depressions upper left and barely discernible right inside the ring edge.  There are four, 90 degrees apart that should align with the four nubs around the outside of the speaker body rim.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:55:48 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat