Author Topic: washer dryer plugged into inverter line  (Read 3002 times)

Rod Tomlinson

washer dryer plugged into inverter line
« on: April 22, 2015, 03:38:29 PM »
I just purchased a Aniston washer dryer combo. The installer has a good reputation as a motorhome serviceman. My 1996 Beaver Monterey did not come prewired for a w/d. We put the unit under the stove in the kitchen. Underneath was a 110 outlet line for two plugs. One is used for the gas stove and the other, my installer used for the washer dryer. He said that since it is a major project to run a line from the circuit breaker in the bedroom to under the sink, there was no problem using the inverter line.

On my boat, the installer connected the water heater to the inverter line by mistake. One night, the generator stopped running and the electrical drain from the water heater during the night "fried" the batteries. If, we left the w/d running, say at a rv site and for some reason the power stopped, wouldn't the inverter keep the w/d running until the batteries died? Am I missing something?

All comments and help will be appreciated.

Bill Sprague

Re: washer dryer plugged into inverter line
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 03:57:21 PM »
Your inverter should be programmed to shut off the 120 AC well before the batteries are fried.   Depending on the controller, you may also be able to program it to automatically start the genset when the batteries drop to a moderate state of discharge. 

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: washer dryer plugged into inverter line
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
        Hi Rod,
The scenerio you pose is highly improbable but I agree that it is never a good idea to put your inverter in harms way. The internal transfer relays inside the inverter were never meant to pick up a 20amp load. Bill is right depending on how your coach is configured. If it were my coach, I would look for another circuit near by such as an appliance outlet. The other issue is the washer/dryer mfg usually specs out a dedicated 20amp circuit.
   Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6