Author Topic: Moen delivers--again!  (Read 4711 times)

Joel Weiss

Moen delivers--again!
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:37:38 PM »
We managed to break the "pivot retainer" a cylindrical piece of plastic which sits under the kitchen sink handle.  After 15 years I wasn't all that surprised.  The faucet was still usable but leaked when off (probably not unlike some of us older owners!  ::))  Anyway, fortunately I had all the model information (the previous owner of my MH was a gem) and one phone call to Moen got the parts on their way to me.   Since we weren't going to be in one place for very long for the next couple of weeks, I had them overnight the parts for $20, otherwise they would have been free.

Installing the piece was easy and the CSR sent some additional parts which she felt would improve the "feel" of the handle.  The entire repair took less than 20 minutes.  It's worth noting that Moen parts don't seem to be all that available at Lowes and HD, probably because they can be obtained so easily from the company.

IMHO this is a great way to establish lifelong customer relationships.  The part, a piece of molded plastic probably cost a penny or two to make.  Sending it to me for free rather than charging me even $5 was a great way to cement a relationship with a customer.  If I ever need a new faucet, guess what brand I'll buy?
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Moen delivers--again!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:01:34 PM »
I've had the same experience with Moen.  They readily replace at no charge any part that fails, and even in our case an entire home kitchen faucet whose finish had stained and was discontinued.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:10:17 PM »
Replacing my faucet would be such a bear, that I'm thrilled that I'll be able to obtain needed parts from Moen since repairing it will always be far easier than replacing it.  My wife has said that she'd really like a faucet with a pullout nozzle.  I've told her that if she wants one of those it won't be me installing it.  From what I can tell, I would guess that the kitchen faucet was installed before the sink and countertop were.  There's like no way to get back under the sink to reach the water lines and faucet unless you remove the counter or partially disassemble a cabinet.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:25:33 PM »
I think the ones in our coach are Delta.  Like in the house, the kitchen one is a pullout handle version, and your long-suffering wife deserves one, Dude.  Can't imagine not having one these days - they make kitchen life a lot easier;  since I do at least half the washing and cooking, I can definitely personally attest to that.  One small example:  our coffee pot sits near the sink because it can be easily filled with water by extending the faucet handle over to it.  And the spray feature forces suds up better than straight flow, and I can make quick work of any pot or dish or container anywhere in the two sink basins, or even on the counter alongside a basin.  At home I can reach the handle up to water plants in the garden window if I'm too lazy to fill the wife's watering cans.

The sinks in the coach bath area are the buggers;  the little faucets there are mounted about as close to the back walls as imaginable.  But I've had one of them apart for a minor adjustment or drain valve mechanism fix before.  It was no easy trip, but it was done.  That's what basin wrenches are for.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:30:31 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »
You're welcome to come by and replace the kitchen faucet! ;D  Even with a basin wrench it will be a bear because of the small clearance between the bottom of the sink and the cabinet shelf.  With my luck I'd get it apart and not be able to get it back together.  If she wants it replaced, I'll pay someone to do it.  That's the difference between being a full-timer or part-timer. I can't afford to get things apart and leave them that way.  I've learned my limits; I am willing to pay people for their skills.
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett