Author Topic: Parking brake replacement parts  (Read 12605 times)

Eric Wallace

Parking brake replacement parts
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:26:32 AM »
I have owned a 2001 Monterey (short - 33 foot Magnum air over hydraulic model, 3126B engine) since almost new and have never had any problems with the parking brake system.  On a recent trip I found two occurrences where the dash air actuation switch somehow made its way to an intermediate position while underway - not fully in, or fully out.  No air leaking could be heard, nor did I feel any strong braking action.  However, burning brake smell told me the pads were engaging to some degree.  Now the parking brake barely holds the coach.  It actually creeps a bit while at idle.  I have found the replacement dash switch online, but now it's time to adjust or replace the pads, and maybe other parts.  I have done a number of searches on the forum and have learned the parking brake is a driveshaft "squeezing" type system, and can readily see it under the coach, but I haven't found part mfgr's name or numbers, or links to any drawings or maintenance instructions.  Does anyone have any specifics on who made the parts for 2001 era Beavers?  Might any manuals or maintenance procedures be available?  I try to do as much maintenance on the coach as I can, but if this is too heavy duty a job, I'd like to know as much as possible before taking it somewhere for repairs. 

Grant Ralston

Re: Parking brake replacement parts
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 03:03:51 AM »
The previous owner replaced the emergency brake on our 98 Contessa in September 2013 and the total was $841 at that time in Ridgefield Washington.  Looks like some heavy work.   Invoice description of the work done:

Work Performed:  CHANGE OUT BRAKE SHOES ON PARKING BRAKE.   BRAKE LINING NEEDS REPLACED. 

REMOVED DRIVELINE AT TRANSMISSION END. REMOVED PARKING DRUM, SHOES, YOKE AND ANCHOR PLATE. CLEANED AND LUBED BACKING PLATE. REMOVED AND REPLACED TRANS OUTPUT SEAL.  INSTALLED NEW PLATE AND YOKE. TORQUED TO SPEC. INSTALLED PARKING BRAKE SHOES, DRUM AND DRIVELINE. ADJUSTED/RECOMMEND REPLACING CABLE DUE TO IT BEING STRETCHED AND AT ITS MAX ADJUSTMENT.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:43:08 AM »
My 2000 Patriot Thunder with Magnum chassis and air over hydraulic brakes uses a rotor mounted on the driveshaft along with a caliper as a parking brake.  Your coach may have something similar.  About two years ago we replaced the brake's air actuating chamber and pads due to a leak in the actuator which had caused the brake to drag while the coach was in motion.  The parts were obtained from BCS.  The problem may not be with the button inside your MH, although I replaced ours also as part of the diagnostic process. 

The system is like any other disc brake; the pads can be replaced and the caliper can be adjusted so the coach will remain stationary.  I don't know who makes the parts other than the fact that the valve inside the coach (the big yellow button) is a Meritor Wabco part.  However, previous to replacing the actuator the system was serviced at a truck shop in Spokane and they didn't have any problem getting parts for it.  I wouldn't be surprised if the caliper and pads are also Meritor Wabco.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 02:34:40 PM »
Eric,
If you do not need to replace the disc that rotates with the driveshaft, servicing the barking brake should not be a big issue for the average DIY mechanic.

Gerald

Frank Towle

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 03:14:40 PM »
Reminded me of our '96 Patriot with same park-brake system.  Had stopped coach to check in at a campground in the rolling hills of ???.  Set the park-brake as always and we went into office.  Looked back over shoulder and the Beav' was rolling down a gentle hill into a big empty rally field.  A moment of terror and she came to a stop all by herself!

Yes, before trusting make sure the p-brake WILL keep coach from moving.  Just set brake and put into drive (don't hit throttle because low torque will probably override p-brake).  Coach should remain stationary. 

If p-brake doesn't hold - threaded rod on band between trannie and diff can simply be tightened up or replaced.  Should be a little slack when disengaged, tight when engaged (spring should be compressed some).   

Eric Wallace

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 04:53:46 PM »
Gerald,
Is the disc you are referring to that rotates with the driveshaft the part that would require removing the driveshaft and replacing the transmission output seal as mentioned in Grant's repair work order above?  Is the "disc" one of the parts mentioned in that work order - anchor plate, backing plate...?
Might there be a link on Meritor's site that shows an exploded view of this braking assembly?

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:17:47 PM »
I have had the same problem for a while and have not gotten to it due to lack of funds. I have been under her and it appears on my 98 there is a drum like set up where the driveline mounts to the tranny. I am assuming on my 98 it has drum brakes if i am wrong please let me know. I had a problem with the brakes dragging and I had to give it alot of power to get over a speed bump when up against it. I was told at that time it was some kind of an actuator and they were not curently available. However there was someone who rebuilt them. I never followed up on it but need to. If i remember the actuator cost was very expensive. My mistake it is a 98 not an 89
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:33:55 PM by Gary Wolfer »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 08:23:27 PM »
I was told at that time it was some kind of an actuator and they were not curently available. However there was someone who rebuilt them. I never followed up on it but need to. If i remember the actuator cost was very expensive.

I don't know if the actuator on yours is the same as mine since yours is probably a Gillig chassis and mine is an SMC, but it was rather costly, nearly $700 as I recall.  I also had heard from BCS that they are in short supply.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 08:26:29 PM »
Eric,
If you do not need to replace the disc that rotates with the driveshaft, servicing the barking brake should not be a big issue for the average DIY mechanic.

Gerald

Gerald:

You obviously assume a far greater degree of mechanical ability than I have.  Crawling on one's back under the driveline is not my idea of fun and my "circumference" makes some of the clearances involved pretty tight.  My replacement actuator and new pads were installed by a pretty competent on-site heavy truck repair guy and he worked hard for his money.

Joel

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 08:27:59 PM »
My98 patriot coach says it is a Magnum chassis so I assume it is also a smc product it has 8 air bags two on each corner. Sorry Joel my mistake inverted the 98 to 89 by mistake.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:35:13 PM by Gary Wolfer »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 10:00:41 PM »
My coach says it is a Magnum chassis so I assume it is also a smc product it has 8 air bags two on each corner.

Ok so we're probably talking about the same parts.  The actuator is a metal "ball" probably ~8 inches in diameter.  I believe it is held in place with two bolts through a frame member.  The trick is getting the actuator in place and then getting the linkage from it to the caliper adjusted so that it doesn't bind.  I ended up with a service call a year later because I couldn't get the brake to release.  The problem turned out to be that the linkage wasn't straight and was binding.