Author Topic: Master air valve  (Read 3556 times)

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
Master air valve
« on: April 23, 2015, 02:22:20 PM »
Good morning,

When the master air valve next to the driver's seat is pushed down, it is very hard to pull back up to release the air brakes.  It is so hard that the mounting plate it is attached to flexes upward quite a bit.  Don't think it should be like this and was wondering if there is some way to lubricate or adjust to make it lift easier.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Gerald Farris

Re: Master air valve
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 02:49:13 PM »
Mike,
All parking brake control valves require a little pressure to engage and disengage, but if yours is as hard as you indicated, I would replace the valve. A defective valve requires replacement, not lubrication. However, I would compare your coach to several others at the next rally that you attend if you are new to air brakes to be sure that it is harder than normal.

Gerald 

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:59:29 AM by Gerald Farris »

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 02:41:12 AM »
Gerald,

That is a good idea!  This is my first coach and I don't have any idea how difficult they are to pull. 

Thank you!

Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 04:06:46 AM »
Good morning,

When the master air valve next to the driver's seat is pushed down, it is very hard to pull back up to release the air brakes.  It is so hard that the mounting plate it is attached to flexes upward quite a bit.  Don't think it should be like this and was wondering if there is some way to lubricate or adjust to make it lift easier.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Michael, mine acts exactly as you describe.  The plastic that the brake is attached to also pulls up and mine has a small crack in it.  I assumed that the crack was the issue.  I just hold it down with my other hand.  I'm also new to a DP.  It doesn't seem too hard to pull though.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH