Author Topic: Hydraulic Pump Seal  (Read 4674 times)

Frank and Sharon Stough

Hydraulic Pump Seal
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »
The hydraulic pump at the rear of the PTO keeps blowing the seal between the two units.  The seal on the pump has been replaced twice and has failed twice.  In frustration, I sent the pump to Oregon to be rebuilt.  I just had it re-installed and the seal blew again!  Beaver Service says it could take several months to order another pump from Europe.  Any thoughts?  In addition, the engine is severely overheating.  I'm sure these things are somehow connected.  The coach is an 05 Monterey with a C9.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Hydraulic Pump Seal
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 02:28:48 AM »
Reason your pump seal is blowing seal you are deadheading pressure either into a valve that is not opening all the way or your relief valve is stuck not dumping excess fluid back to tank. Problem
number 2 on the engine heating problem can you give me more info on this. Starting with your
Engine S/N number complete. I can help you with your problem.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 05:14:56 AM »
I'm assuming that your coach has a side radiator system that is cooled by the hydraulic driven fan, if your hydraulic pump is not flowing high pressure oil to the fan motor this could be the heating problem. Somewhere in your hydraulic system it sounds like you have a blockage of some kind. Does your filter have a by-pass in it? If it does not and the filter gets plugged up might be some of the problem.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 02:52:40 PM »
Frank if a new pump is needed Monco does not stock inventory. I just went down this road with them and BCS is correct a new pump will take 14 - 16 weeks. I wuld lk at all my options. I would also be very careful of a rebuild pump if they are only doing the seals I think your OK but besure to get a report on the internal condition of the pump. Our pump failed and the failure sent metal into the whole system. The result was a new cooling fan/powersteering pump(2) Main Hyd.Pump/Wax thermo Valve(3).

Good luck on your seals I hope Dave is correct and BCS can help you. 
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 08:53:16 PM »
I'm no diesel mechanic, but what Dave Atherton put into this thread sounds like its up the right tree, Frank.  I'd get in touch with him for more input.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat