Author Topic: Off the scale reads for the black tank.  (Read 7875 times)

Roger Rempe

Off the scale reads for the black tank.
« on: April 24, 2015, 10:55:05 PM »
Went to check my tank levels the other day and found this remarkable read for the black tank. I tried the Alladin reset switch above the passenger door but, that didn't work. Any ideas on how to get back the correct read?
Thanks, Roger

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Off the scale reads for the black tank.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 02:02:04 AM »
Yes, I've run into that phenomenon before myself.  Usually from being a bit "overstuffed" in the black dept. than what I normally let happen.  The sensor at the bottom of the tank reads the weight of fluid above it, and beyond 100% it gets kinda radical.  It may also be debris that's interfering with the sensor.

Empty the tank and flush it good, assuming you have the SaniFlush system.  If the readings don't come back to some semblance of normal, you may have to recalibrate that sensor.  But in my experience things return to expected performance after dumping.

If you don't have recalibration instructions and need them, please advise.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »
      Hi Roger,
 Your coach I believe has the Micro-Pulse sending units mounted at the bottom corner of the tanks on the passenger side. Do what Joel suggested and flush the tank until clean. Pull off the panel to expose the tank. You will see an elbow fitting facing up and the pulse sender screwed down into it. disconnect the wires, and remove the elbow then the sender, flush out the waste and toilet paper until clean. Reinstall sender and elbow using teflon tape. If the sender is good, there will be no need to calibrate. Refill with the flusher to check for leaks.
     Have Fun, Fred

Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Roger Rempe

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 03:02:57 PM »
I've dumped and SaniFlushed several times since the "abby-normal" reading reared it's head Joel. Funny thing about it is that the reading is not static and fluctuates as the tank does. I may need to recalibrate the Alladin but, not sure how to do that correctly. I would appreciate if you could pass along the method for that!
While we're talking Alladin system...I'm rather concerned about it going south on me. It acts up sometimes with frozen screens and the toggle is ineffective at times. Been thinking about converting to the Silverleaf system but, have heard that it's rather expensive. However, we full time RV so, the Beaver is our home and I like a ship shape home in working order!

Roger Rempe

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 03:05:59 PM »
 Thanks Fred...I'll check into that too!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »
    Roger,
 Here is what is going on  from my experience with Alladin systems. After the coach is over 7-8 years old, when you drive the coach, the "Wave" inside the waste tank impacts the waste into that elbow I was telling you about. I really don't advise calibration because it can take you down a "rabbit trail".
     Watch out for those "German Brown sewer trout"........ Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Roger Rempe

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:17:31 PM »
LOL Fred! However, I checked for those elbows and couldn't spot them. Is it possible that they were mounted on the driver's side? If that's the case then I think that it would be really difficult to access. As the other side has the plumbing service center panel to remove. Not sure what that would entail?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 08:22:36 PM »
Why do I think my favorite piscatorial prey has just suffered an insult ;) .  Roger's right, Fred - I'm pretty sure the sensors are on the street side.  Note Roger's photo with the foam support under the tanks.  They taper down toward the street side to help facilitate emptying, so I'd guess the sensors are on the down end.  That white water bay panel doesn't look all that much fun to remove, as I recall Ed Buker can attest to.  Admittedly I haven't carefully scrutinized mine with such intent though, and empathize with Roger's thoughts.

Roger - if you go to the club's Private BAC Member's Only section off the Home page, and click through Links to the Coach Assist, you will find several Aladdin documents there, including (out of alphabetical sequence for some reason) a Troubleshooting manual with in-depth calibration directions.  The simpler methodology, though, is from my owner's manual pp. 178-9 below.  Click the paperclip icon/text below the image to open it in your computer's photo program for viewing and printing.  If you'd prefer, I can scan and email you page images that may be more clear - let me know.

Some have had success using bags of ice cubes and/or detergent with only a few gallons of water in the black tank, sloshed around with some driving, to free up the sensor.  There's no guarantee that will work, but I'd try that before recalibration, as per Fred's advice that calibrating with a befouled sensor can make things worse.  To that end as well, I'd make some effort to getting at the sensor behind the utility bay panel.

If you find any trout in there, be sure to only tell Fred  :-X .

-Joel

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:47:09 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 11:35:36 PM »
     Hey Joel,
You are probably right, sometimes I get Cornfused. I was visualizing an '06 Marquis when I said the micro-pulse senders was on the curbside. Unfortunately the waste plugs up the sender and elbow. You know how it is when you're flushing your black tank if you have one of those clear plastic adaptors, about the time you think you're done......here comes a German Brown!
       Happy Trails, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Roger Rempe

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 11:16:45 PM »
Thanks for the info and "fishin' tips" guys!  ;)
Sounds like maybe I should just bite the wallet and look into that Silverleaf rehab. Big bucks but, they also put in a See Level system. The Alladin system is on shaky legs and probably will be kaput soon anyway.
I've had nothing but frustration with repairs and expenses since buying this rig. Been towed twice in one year and dash warning lights go off from time to time for no reason. Too many other repairs to mention. Sent $260 this week to Beaver SS for a new light switch...crazy. Thank goodness at least for this forum!