Author Topic: Bike rack  (Read 5477 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Bike rack
« on: April 27, 2015, 03:19:58 AM »
Any brand recommendations for a two-bike bicycle rack?  Hitch or ladder mount?

Thanks,

Larry

Lee Welbanks

Re: Bike rack
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:11:54 AM »
Larry,

I use a Yakima hitch bike rack that I carry my two bikes with. Used to have it on the rear of the CRV but now I have them on the rear of the PT. I ordered a blank18" receiver from ETrailer and bolted it on the hitch mount on the rear. Had to get one that long so it would come out far enough so the bike rack would clear the rear of the coach. Works really well, only hitch is it makes connecting the CRV a little bit harder have learned to just live with it. Far better than the rear of the car.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »
If the ladder is aluminum it will not hold the weight of a bicycle consistently bouncing. Not that I know first hand but I do know my ladder flexes just with my weight when climbing. I have had to tighten the mounting hardware twice since 05.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:24:48 PM »
Camping world sells one for about $160 that holds two bikes.  It mounts on the outside of the receiver and angles back.  The rack folds down so you have access to engine.  Cannot remember who,makes it but is on their site.  Had it about 5 years.  Catalog 49401
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:37:00 PM by Tom and Pam Brown »

Dan Murphy

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:54:27 PM »
I thought I replied earlier but I don't see my post.
We use a Yakima 2 bike rack and it is easy to use behind the coach or the car. There was a 2 bike rack on sale at E-trailer over the weekend. I think it was $99 and it looked nice.It was the type you wouldn't need an extra bar for the ladies bike like I must use with mine.I almost got one but I was too cheap! LOL

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 02:44:40 AM »
Thanks, Dan.  Amazon had the same rack for $90 with free shipping.  It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.