Author Topic: Engine brake preselect  (Read 14460 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Engine brake preselect
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 05:41:07 AM »
A different view on this. I'm not an OTR trucker and my experience is only based on RVs with PAC and Jake brakes. While I agree and do downshift on hills, I find the most benefit from the Jake is in traffic where I need to stop relatively quickly. This was again brought home this past weekend traveling on US 290 west of Austin with 60-65mph speed limits with random stop-lights and 15-20 second yellows. Here the Jake is invaluable in slowing me down quickly w/o my having to worry about downshifting. Dropping to 4th does the trick.
As far as the over-reving is concerned, I've checked with 3 CAT mechanics at 3 different CAT shops and gotten the same answer from each; overreving due to the Jake will not damage the engine if it is not heavily loaded. Slowing down a 40K lb RV is not a heavy load.
So, my Allison/Jake remains stock.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 02:17:46 PM »
Steve,

I'm not convinced that Cat mechanics at the Cat shops have the knowledge to draw any conclusion on this matter. The Allison high level program and parameters that controls the over revving is not even available to the field shops who do your repairs and maintenance. The assumption seems to always be made that "the Allison program always protects the engine from over revving"......that was the intent and it is within the Allison's program capability if all parties did their job right.

The "high level embedded program" consists of set of inputs between Allison, Cat, and the vehicle manufacturer, which for mine was SMC/Monaco at the time, that are written into the Allison CPU. The only way that your Allison CPU can protect your engine is if ALL of the inputs to the high level program are correct.

When I got deep into the discussion with Allison and Cat about this issue, we concluded that 2500RPM on a downshift to 4th was "on the high side of generous" as they put it. They started to look into it, then with a bit more investigation on their part they clammed up and did not want to talk about the 4000/C12/ and our Beaver motorhome programing anymore.....not sure why but earlier litigation issues may have influenced this.

My speculation (and this is all it can be is speculation) is because Joel Weiss's C12PT can handle 65MPH in 4th gear without over revving beyond the 2100RPM governor limit and my Marquis with a C12 at 65 in 4th gear could not, that the different rear end ratios may not be programmed in properly for the Marquis. Some revs beyond 2100 are acceptable and my sense from the discussion is that 2300RPM was within reason.

I do not think vehicle weight has much to do with protection for this issue, other than a heavier rig would have the Jake on longer for the same deceleration, but an over rev would exist in both situations if the vehicle input parameters were programmed in wrong to begin with. That is really unlikely given the truck chassis manufacturers do far more engineering work with the engine and transmission companies to get this interface program input right. Beaver SMC did not employ any engineers as I understand it and Allison called this "a bit of wild west" when they discussed the RV industry.

Your reasoning is sound as to why you want your program to go to 4th gear automatically and you can manage your RPM as to when you can use it safely. It is just that we do not want to leave the impression that adequate over rev protection exists under all Jake use conditions, for all of the new owners, on their specific RVs. For some units that is still a question without a clear answer. If you apply the Jake at 65 or higher MPH on your C12 and your RV "slams into 4th" and your RPM exceeds 2200-2300RPM then you either need to manage engagement speed yourself or consider getting your unit reprogrammed to go to 5th or 6th gear. I think this is a prudent approach to what remains a cloudy issue. We will never get the whole truth on this subject... Just my opinion.

Later Ed

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 02:46:37 PM »
    Hi Guys,
 Wow.........Great conversation and speculation. I am inclined to agree with Steve and Ed. These coaches are not all things to all people. Back in the late '80s, I was the applications Engineer for Vogue Motorhomes. We did interface with Cat, Allison and Cummins trying to reach a happy medium for the average RV Guy and yet protect the interests and liabilities of the vendors.
     My approach is this: You are a captive audiance while driving. I enjoy engine and transmission management as part of my entertainment. As long as I know the safe and fun perameters of the equiptment, I'm gonna smile as I go up and down the hills. We're driving some of the best out there.
   Happy trails, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Joel Weiss

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 04:08:15 PM »

My speculation (and this is all it can be is speculation) is because Joel Weiss's C12PT can handle 65MPH in 4th gear without over revving beyond the 2100RPM governor limit and my Marquis with a C12 at 65 in 4th gear could not, that the different rear end ratios may not be programmed in properly for the Marquis. Some revs beyond 2100 are acceptable and my sense from the discussion is that 2300RPM was within reason.

Ed:

I think you may be onto something here.  Even though I pretty carefully check my speed before engaging the Jake I know that every once in a while I will see the SilverLeaf display a "4 5" momentarily before dropping to  "4 4".  This has always implied to me that the CAT-Allison combo was doing what it was supposed to and was limiting engine revs properly.  I've never mentioned this before since you Marquis owners were so adamant that it wasn't happening on your rigs.  I've not previously considered whether this issue was confined only to the Marquis and is simply not present in the Pat Thunders of the same period.  It wouldn't be all that surprising if someone simply didn't consider the different rear end gear ratios when programming the Allison.

Joel

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 11:38:52 PM »
Very well put Ed. It just seems that most people trust a computer to protect their mechanical stuff and don't understand that an error could happen. It all depends on if the parameters in that computer were set to the correct inputs for that particular combination of engine, transmission, gear ratio and tire size. Marty
PS I am installing that new trans cooler now.

Edward Buker

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 05:14:24 AM »
Marty, Fred, and Joel,

It is clear that the Allison CPU has the capability to protect the engine from over revving provided the program inputs are calibrated accurately. I knew when I said 2500rpm in 4th they perked up and said that was on the "high side of generous" that something was not right. They reprogrammed my Jake for free to go to a higher gear selection and maybe that took some pressure off them regarding finding any root cause.

I did learn that there were quite a number of high level programs created for Beaver coaches and the one that I had was the original one programmed into my coach. It was also one that they were not familiar with. The person who wrote these programs and put them into our Allisons has retired and the person that took over did not know what limits and inputs were used in them....and so goes the motorhome industry.

Marty, let me know how the cooler install goes.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:09:40 PM by Edward Buker »
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks