Author Topic: Black tank bacterial agent  (Read 8309 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Black tank bacterial agent
« on: April 28, 2015, 08:11:31 PM »
Is there a preference among you folks for a bacterial additive for the black tank?

Thanks,

Larry

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Black tank bacterial agent
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »
Larry I like to use Happy Camper

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »
Some people use the same stuff as what's used to inoculate septic tanks.  But that won't necessarily help cut any odors, and most of us use regular RV black tank treatments, and most of the ones commonly found work just fine.  I highly recommend that you stay away from those that use formaldehyde, though.  That just kills the microbial action and can befoul RV park sewer systems anyway.

I've used Happy Camper before and liked it, but it can be hard to find.

These days the non-formaldehyde versions well-outnumber the formaldehyde ones out there, so it's relatively easy to find "green" or "eco-friendly" treatments;  just read the labels - the good ones will usually tout the fact.  I shop for the ones that are on sale, but tend to gravitate toward tried and true Thetford products - used to be Aqua-Kem Green but I think its now called Ecosmart.  Regular Aqua-Kem is formaldehyde, so don't confuse them.

Dometic, Walex, and Travel Jon all make many bio-friendly products that work with enzymes to break down waste.  Some use additional fragrance to kinda cover odors up a bit, and there may be some that are fragrance-free.  Some smell like citrus, some floral - we prefer citrus.  My wife isn't overjoyed if I bring home liquid versions though, as she finds the drop-in packets much easier to use, and I've come to agree. 

They can come in little buckets, but we really like the ones in zip-lock bags because they store just about anywhere in a cabinet and seal up good;  you don't want moisture to get in the package or the packets can disintegrate, so we squeeze the air out, zip, stick on the narrow shelf in the cabinet behind the toilet, and forget.  Thetford's Ecosmart 12-pack Toss-Ins are a good example and what I usually buy on sale.

Walex makes a 10-pack that's cheaper, Blue MAX, which I guess is fragrance-free but we like the Ecosmart citrus.  Walex Bio-Pak and Porta-Pak are scented 10-packs that are options we haven't tried either.  You'll just have to examine the packages in the store (Camping World has as many choices as any) and come to your own conclusions, depending on your personal preferences;  just try to stay away from formaldehyde ones.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:42:55 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 01:07:08 AM »
Water is key to reducing odor. I start with 5-6 gal of water and then add a cup of Pine-Sol and a cup of dissolved Calgon Bath Beads to soften the water and help make the sides of the tank slippery. If an odor does develop a 1/2 to 1 cup of bleach resolves it.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Les Brandt

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
Larry I like to use Happy Camper

X2 on Happy Camper!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »
In 12 years of fulltiming, I use no black tank additive. However, I do use a wind vain type vent on the black tank to improve the tank vent system. I have found that the improved vent system will generate enough negative pressure in the tank to move any odor to the top of the coach and into the breeze.

Gerald   
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 01:33:02 AM »
X-3 on Happy Camper!

Best there is. Good bugs...

Phil

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 03:23:12 AM »
Happy Camper info can be seen here:   https://www.5starhappycamper.com/order.html
And it can be purchased via Amazon.  Be sure to go through the BAC link on the club's Main page if you want to get some from Amazon.

It's supposedly cheaper to use overall, but with our large tanks and the added cost of shipping, I'm not convinced of that;  I normally use only one packet of Ecosmart per tank, but if I found Happy Camper on a shelf on sale I might buy it.  Both work, but Ecosmart uses enzymes and HC uses bacteria - so you need to flush out thoroughly first any prior chemicals so they don't do in HC bugs.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/ecosmart-12-pack-toss-ins/44088

Joel
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:28:37 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 03:17:01 PM »
The Geo RV solution cured my problem. Never have a smell now I dealt with it for over 12 years. https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Orman Claxton

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »
Go to Tanktechsrx.com
We have been using this for several years, It is an all natural Probiotic tank treatment, 1/2oz.  to the gray tank,1oz. to the black tank
It does work  8)
Totally Green Totally Clean

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 05:08:20 PM »
We use Rid-X (a septic tank additive) and any freebee packets from rallies as long as they do not contain formaledhyde.
We also have the Camco Cyclone vent top on the roof. It works very well to remove odors.
Most important is to have plenty of water to mix with the waste. We have a 75 gal black and a 75 gal gray tank. It's easy to fill up the gray but we need to add extra water to the black. We do this by having a tub in the kitchen sink and dumping the used dish water into the toilet. We also have a water saver head in the shower. We use a gallon milk jug and catch the cold water that first comes out the shower. We also dump this into the toilet.
A good sloshing helps the black tank. So sometimes we dump as we first come into the CG. This especially helps to mix up all the stuff in the black water tank and keeps buildup of stuff on the sides and sensors to a minimum.
Connie B.