Author Topic: Big battery issues  (Read 5436 times)

Kathy Hood

Big battery issues
« on: April 29, 2015, 10:01:09 PM »
You probably covered some of this before but.......
This is Gary, we have a 99 Monterey 36'.  Since Quartsite both sets of batteries discharge between 3 to 7 days.  The coach batt. is gone in 3 days and the chaise batt's less than 7 days.  There is a solar panel on the roof that I have no idea what or if it is charging.  First notice that something was wrong was when we got home and plugged it in and no click, no charging and no humming sound from the converter.  I left a charger on the chaise batt's and was able to start he engine thus charging the coach batteries then started the generator that did charge the coach batteries.  After calling Beaver and discussing it with 2 rv places it was determined that the converter must be the problem and the inverter was working good as it charged the batts when the generator was running. Being that it is an older coach I thought it best to update the inverter to a new electronic savvy one and fix the converter, as I was told that was the way to go.  Nearest repair place is camping world about 65 miles away. 2 questions, does this sound like the problem and fix?  Does anyone have suggestions on who can do the repair, mobile mechanic or ??   Thank you for any input, Gary. 

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Big battery issues
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 12:57:23 AM »
Gary
I looked at the battery connections recently.  I have gently washed them a couple times but decided to pull them apart for a good cleaning.  The problem was in the parts you couldnt see. Now clean and much improved.
I always suggest people take several good pictures before disconnecting any battery terminals.  There are several threads here about crossed wiring.
Do you ha e a multi meter?  If so you can check the batteries without the shore power and then cover the solar pannels and re check.  Should be a noticable difference.
If you plug in the shore power and there is no sound from the power switch I would wonder about that.
Is your charger turned on at the control pannel?
This is just a start as I am sure there will be more informed responces soon.
I do not take our coach to Camping World unless there is just no other way. 

Good luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 02:26:16 AM »
Gary,
If I understand correctly, it sounds like you may have a problem with the transfer relay. If it charges off the generator but not off shore power, the only difference in the charge circuit is the transfer relay that routes power from either the generator or the shore connection. If it is the transfer relay, you  should not have any AC power in the coach when connected to shore power.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 04:36:27 AM »
Gary,
First, the inverter and converter are the same thing in your coach. The same unit preforms both functions. Second, you probably know more about fixing your coach than the average technician at Camping World.

If the inverter/converter charges your batteries when the generator is running, but not when plugged into shore power, the inverter/converter is not the problem and replacing it would be a waste of money. Trace the shore power voltage to determine where it stops. You probable have a bad transfer switch like Steve said, but check the circuit before throwing parts at the problem. It may be just a loose wire.

Gerald

Kathy Hood

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 04:56:31 PM »
Keith, I do have a meter and have checked batteries and found them dead.  Had not checked before and after covering the solar panel. Right now nothing shows charging, I have suspected solar is not working.   While at Quartsite a mechanic ran a dignostic on the engine and did replace a batt cable that pulled out of the connector, but all seem well after that.  Did not see a place on the control panel to turn it off or on,  I'll check that.  I to am not a big CWorld fan.

Steve, that is correct, no power on shore hook up.

Gerald, I wanted to up date to a Sine Wave Inverter/Charger and was hoping all would get fixed at that time.

First I have to find a mechanic I can trust or someone trusts.

Thank you all.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »
Gary,
If you are driving a motorhome, it is a good idea to at least have a basic meter. You do not need a $200 Fluke like I use, but a basic meter from Harbor Freight for less than $10 will pay for itself many times over.

If there is no power in the coach when on shore power, a new inverter will not charge either. You need to check for power into and out of the transfer switch. It is probably bad.

Gerald

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 08:14:37 PM »
Gary,
The transfer relay/switch is normally in a grey electrical box. It will probably be located near where your shore power cable comes into the coach.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Kathy Hood

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 06:42:46 AM »
Gerald, what's the deal, you've been looking in my tool box, that is exactly the meter I have and where I got it.  Next time I see you I want to see your meter, you can show me on my coach. :)  I've had motor homes and meters over the years and this is my first diesel and my first real problem with this kind of set up. (I've led a sheltered life).  Anyway, thanks for the info, I have got to find that transfer switch.

Steve, thanks, Saturday I'm going to look for that transfer switch.  I have not been too successful finding things in the Beaver manual, of course it is a 99 and there aren't very many pictures.  All kidding aside I have got to get serious on this as Kathy wants to get out of town and is concerned that our disaster preparedness package is out of service, living in southern Ca. our coach serves several purposes.

One of the rv mechanics I've used over the years does not deal with the electrical and the company he suggested to me seamed a little veg on what they thought the problem could be so I have been a little reluctant to go to him.  I have been replacing bulbs with led's and have wanted to upgrade my system to a sine wave Inverter/Charger  so when I asked this new guy what he suggested he didn't really know and they would have to order one up when they got it in the shop and looked at it.

Thanks for the help guys.