Author Topic: Hurricane help  (Read 4579 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Hurricane help
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:47:40 PM »
The Hurricane in our '99 Contessa fires up promptly, but the lights on the remote control in the coach fail to light.  Heat barely trickles out of the registers -- and I may be imagining that trickle.  On the control box in the basement, I get a green light for power, burner and water pump.  No fault lights are illuminated.  Any clues?

Larry

Lawrence Tarnoff

Re: Hurricane help
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »
I guess it would help to open both eyes.  I have discovered a heater switch on the fascia right under the sink.  Swith was off.  Switch on and voila -- heat.  A good thing as we are taking our first trip next weekend to northern Wisconsin.

Larry

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:35:33 PM »
One more on this: After shutting the system off, I see that the "remote open" light on the control box is illuminated.   Could this indicate a fault in the connecting cable between the control box and the remote since neither the green nor red lights on the remote panel illuminate?

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 01:17:39 AM »
That means the switch is off in the coach.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 02:59:55 PM »
One more on this: After shutting the system off, I see that the "remote open" light on the control box is illuminated.   Could this indicate a fault in the connecting cable between the control box and the remote since neither the green nor red lights on the remote panel illuminate?

That light should only be on if the remote switch is in the OFF position, but that should result in the system being inoperative.  If the system is working, as you say it is, with the switch in the OFF position that would explain why you aren't seeing the indicator lights.  But I'm at a loss to explain how that can occur.  I wonder if somehow you have put it into bypass mode in which it ignores some of its sensors?  That wouldn't be good since bypass isn't intended for routine use.  My suggestion is to call Kevin Lambert at ITR; he's know what is going on.

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 03:27:02 PM »
Thanks, Joel.  I understand now that the "remote" light on the control box illuminates when the switch on the remote panel is "off".  What I don't understand is why neither light on the remote panel illuminates when the system is working.  I spoke with one of the techs at ITR and he suggested that it might be corrosion at the phone-plug cable end at the control box, but I have yet to remove the cover and investigate.

Larry