Author Topic: Shore power question  (Read 3669 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Shore power question
« on: May 02, 2015, 03:22:21 AM »
Here's another basic question:

When connected to shore power, should the chassis and house battery banks be left on or turned off?

Larry
(wondering if there is a top to the steep hill of this learning curve)

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Shore power question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 04:30:04 AM »
Except for cleaning battery terminals (loosen, remove cables, clean, replace, retighten) or changing batteries I do not turn off the main disconnects to either the house or chassis battery banks.

One exception was my first Winter of ownership I stored the coach in a local building, not plugged in, for several months.  I did turn off the main disconnects during that storage period.  I went to the storage building at least once every month whereby I turned on the disconnects, started and ran the generator for an hour or so, then turned off the main disconnects again.

While home in the Summer the coach is plugged into 30 amp power when parked in my driveway.  The main disconnects are always on.  When parked in "my spot" in Yuma the past two Winters the coach was plugged into 50 amp power and the main disconnects are always on.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 04:34:54 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 05:26:15 AM »
I agree with David, switches most always on and the coach plugged in charging. If you do not have the ability to leave it plugged in then in that case turn them off to reduce current usage. The other time I turn the switches off is when an inadvertent connection raises safety issues. I was working between my slide and the genset this week and if the slide activated I could be injured. I turn off coach power in that situation also for safety reasons.

Regards Ed

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »
I always have mine plugged in and switches turned on.  If there were no other reasons I would because if mine are turned off I have to crawl into the Hydro Hot compartment to to stick a toothpick into the 12 volt reset button.  And I never have a tooth pick so I have to find a stick and carve it into a tooth pick! Oh the trials and tribulations of owning an RV.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett