Author Topic: Turn Signal Tone Beepers  (Read 6012 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Turn Signal Tone Beepers
« on: May 02, 2015, 11:50:24 PM »
    Hi Guys,

Ever drive down the interstate and some guy in a big motorhome has his turn signals on but doesn't seem like he intends to change lanes. You finally decide to take a chance and pass him and hope for the best. So you pull in front of him and cycle your right and left turn signals repeatedly to advise him of his absent-mindedness.
    Well as annoying as that is, I am guilty of such a crime because I can't hear the flasher and my steering wheel obscures the lighted turn arrow indicators.
     Today I took action and added tone beepers purchased from Radio Shack (#273-0059) for $3.99 each to my turn signal indicator circuit. It was a pretty staight forward installation and took about a half hour. Remove the dash top access cover. Cut some ty-wraps to reveal the red and black wires going to the right and left arrow indicators. Strip back 1/4" of insulation and wrap the beeper wires around and solder. Red to red and Black to black. Tape up the connection and ty-wrap the harness as original. Butt splices will work if you don't want to solder the connections.
      The beepers are 75db and sound great with the dash cover back on. You can fine tune the volumn with tape over the hole, however I found them ok right out of the package. Enclosed are some pictures for reference.
    Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Turn Signal Tone Beepers
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 05:48:02 AM »
Good idea Fred, I hope the tone is lower than the tone on the single stack Mack with a window in the back that I used to drive. LOL It drove me nuts it was so loud. You are correct though, the flasher tone does need to be a little louder. Good idea. Marty
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
Good one Fred. I did that on my last RV and have not gotten to that chore on this one. I used just one tone generator and tied it to the blinker module wiring if I remember right....thanks for the idea and photos.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 11:49:14 PM »
Only problem is that Radio Shack went belly up this year.  Might have to look elsewhere online for the device.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 12:10:34 AM »
      Thanks Marty and Ed,

I thought I would use the output of the flasher only to be reminded that load side is thru a ground circuit and I was too lazy to do the stacked relay thing. The beepers only pull 20 milliamps so it was faster just add them to the indicator circuit and not add a load. Drove today to Quartzite today and the truckers just smiled as they went by..............
     Joel, I think some of the radio shack stores were bought by Sprint or T-mobile because I was asking the manager and he said his store was not closing. Not really sure
      Happy Trails, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Randle

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 12:40:38 AM »
Yes, it was Sprint that bought some of the stores. You just need to check your local area to see if it will be staying or disappearing.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 03:30:59 AM »
Already did check.  All 3 stores within a few miles of us are caput.  But no wonder... 1 store would've been enough.  Stretch yourself too thin, trying to maintain too much infrastructure, and you are history, especially if you can't compete correctly with online sources these days.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat